Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default TRACE in Xara Xtreme?

I use a lot of BMP and JOG images in my line of work (laser engraving) and I need a fast and efficient way to convert these bitmaps into vector images. Right now I simply import the bitmap into CorelDraw and manually trace over it with bezier lines. Very slow and time consuming. I'd love a better way to at least get a jump start on it!

If I could get it done with Xara quickly and efficiently, that would be even better!

Cheers,
    Ed

Default Re: TRACE in Xara Xtreme?

Upload one of these files and let's see what we're talking about here.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by enewbold View Post
    I use a lot of BMP and JOG images in my line of work (laser engraving) and I need a fast and efficient way to convert these bitmaps into vector images. Right now I simply import the bitmap into CorelDraw and manually trace over it with bezier lines. Very slow and time consuming. I'd love a better way to at least get a jump start on it!
    Hmmm... I just found page 2 of Workbook 51 and it deals extensively with tracing in Xara. Let me read it and follow the instructions there first. Thanks, =Ed=

Here's a link to Workbook 51.

You would go about the process the same way in Xara as you would in CorelDRAW (except Xara works faster so you can do it a bit quicker).

If you have a really good, high resolution bitmap, you can try the bitmap trace route. Here are links to 2 guest tutorials on Bitmap Tracing Guest Tutorial 53 and Guest Tutorial 62 .

But your best bet is to use the drawing tools to recreate the logo as a vector. It will be cleaner and in almost every case, superior to a bitmap trace (not matter what program you use to do the bitmap trace).

Gary