Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Mail Label Project

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    The hardest part about this project is creating an equidistant border around all sides. Here's my method. CLICK HERE.
    Forgive my querying the experts ... BUT ...

That seemed to me to be a very long way round.
    What is wrong with creating a rectangle, cloning it, resizing the cloned shape then select both shapes and then arrange/align/centre?

Or am I missing some basic point here?
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.

What is wrong with creating a rectangle, cloning it, resizing the cloned shape then select both shapes and then arrange/align/centre?
    No problem at all Ray, it's just to maintain a set 4 pixel border all around you'll need to do some mental arithmetic in your resizing.

Working with squares, as I was, I could have Cloned and resized them centraly, but as soon as you get away from non-uniform shapes maintaining equidistant borders becomes a problem, which is when the Contour Tool is heaven sent.

I use the contour tool so much it becomes almost automatic.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    No problem at all Ray, it's just to maintain a set 4 pixel border all around you'll need to do some mental arithmetic in your resizing.
    Working with squares, as I was, I could have Cloned and resized them centraly, but as soon as you get away from non-uniform shapes maintaining equidistant borders becomes a problem, which is when the Contour Tool is heaven sent.
    I use the contour tool so much it becomes almost automatic.
    Ah, yes, the re-sizing... that makes a difference, thanks.

Mind you, I'm lazy, for a specific size border, say 4px, then I'd set the shape with a 4px line and convert the line to a shape. Again, though, niggles arise when re-sizing.

Must make more use of the contour tool - don't use it that much.

Thnx.
    Last edited by Intbel; 26 September 2006 at 10:42 AM. Reason: sp
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.

The contour tools my favourite.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg, that tutorial was AGAIN excellent! And like Raymond and probably 99% of the others in here, I also have hardly ever used the contour tool and have used resizing instead. However, now I have a new tool to use. Thanks, Egg.

Let me ask this question: That mailing envelpe shape wouldn't happen to be copyrighted or something, would it???
    -=Bob=-

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

One would think that it would not be too difficult to get some templates from a industry standard label maker (Avery for instance) in the .xar format. I (as I assume others) have created my own templates for whatever labels that I use. It is easy to create the appropriate shapes and place them on the guides layer for future use.

Does anyone know of a way to get some vector shapes from Avery (or any other lable maker) so that we could create a library of label templates? If we could get the shapes, it seems like something that would be useful (on occasion) and easy to produce.

Just my $0.02

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

see also this thread

Remi

Also if you are lazy like me and cant be bother setting up InDesign why not try this and its frre. All you have to do is type in your Avery No. and it sets it our for you and all you have to do is to drop in your own Xara drawing after making it a jpeg; http://www.avery.co.uk/uk1/downloads/designpro5.jsp
    Design is thinking made visual.

Smile Re: Mail Label Project

Hi -Let me look at both ways (I got lost in the various ways of dealing with the shapes -probably because it was late and I done much shapes adding, subtracting, intersecting... part of the reason for the project)

(( you guys make it look so easy - and the illustrations really Help! Thanks! ))

Tom
    Tom - Hwy101

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.