Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Do you have a DVD drive in your computer?

Voters
604. This poll is closed
  • Yes, but just at work

39 6.46%
  • Yes, but just at home

224 37.09%
  • Yes, at work and home

241 39.90%
  • No, no DVD drive for me

100 16.56%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Do you have a DVD drive in your computer?

Quote Originally Posted by atarian View Post
    The reason is simple, i have lost software/data on both cd and dvd, cd not very often - dvd more than i wish for.
    That doesn't prove that DVD is worse for archiving in my view, because one has to take in account things like:

- quality differences in media
    - quality of burn
    - quality of burner
    - storage
    IP

Unregistered Guest

Yes I do and they cause no end of trouble. Over the last year I have had 3 computers and not once have I been able to simply put a DVD in the drive and burn it. It's either a format mismatch or this brand of disc doesn't work in this drive or something else. My latest computer, a HP laptop that's just over a year old, has a TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-L532R drive that I cannot get to burn a disc at all. Web searches indicate others have had similar frustrations. And now we have the Blu-ray format war. I'd like to put all these people in a wash machine with a fast spin cycle and not let any of them out until the drips delivered a single working system - not that I want to stand in the way of progress!
    IP

My Medion puter came with a DVD/CD writer, it also came with the little floppy as well, funny tho since I don't need to use it.
    IP

All four of our computers (two desktop, two laptop) have DVD R/W and CD R/W internal. We also have a couple of external DVD R/W drives which are currently functioning as paperweights.
    IP

I have two desktop PCs at work, each with DVD-ROM and DVD-RW/R (with capability of Blue-Ray). DVD-RW/R is mainly for backing up data.

At home I use two desktop PCs and a notebook for different purpose; all of them have been installed with both DVD-ROM and DVD-RW/R (Blue-Ray) except the notebook with DVD-RW/R only.

I use DVD burner as a versatile tool for storage backup, and DVD-ROM a handy, cheap media player.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by ren2980 View Post
    DVD-RW/R (with capability of Blue-Ray).
    DVD-ROM and DVD-RW/R (Blue-Ray)
    It's minor, but the proper name is actually Blu-Ray (without the E).
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFlare View Post
    It's minor, but the proper name is actually Blu-Ray (without the E).
    Thanks BlueFlare.
    IP

Unregistered Guest

Is it just me or is asking whether people have a DVD drive almost like asking whether people have a cdrom drive 5 years ago? I think the poll results only confirm this.
    IP

I have got one but I hardly use it.
    IP

Unregistered-2 Guest

Yes and ive burned terabytes of stuff to them and so far have been very happy. I don't know what long term storage will be. Ive burned many cds and the cheap no brand COMP-USA cds are failing and my stuff on them is gone. the lifespan of burns on DVD is yet unknown to me.

As to BLU RAY and HD DVD there are things that must occur for me to consider its purchase:
    1--cost ; it must be approaching current dvds and dvdrs pricing.
    2---NO copy hassle, I can currently backup my movies. The BIG BROTHER schemes they are proposing for these BLU and HD formats appear that such a thing is intended to be extremly impossible to the point that my own movies I purchased in their formats may not work on my equipment withoutvarious expensive hardware upgrades that may be ongoing
    3--selection of movies available must increase to what is available on DVD now
    IP