Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Do you have a DVD drive in your computer?

Voters
604. This poll is closed
  • Yes, but just at work

39 6.46%
  • Yes, but just at home

224 37.09%
  • Yes, at work and home

241 39.90%
  • No, no DVD drive for me

100 16.56%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Do you have a DVD drive in your computer?

I have a DVD player/burner. Had to upgrade because my older DVD/CD+R/-R could not read DVD-R, I bought I tutorial for my work and it was very useful to me.

I bought a spindle of disks to do my backups with, though I do have a backup drive, but nothing is perfect, better to do a backup of my backup drive, no telling that it couldn't fail as well.

Thought I'd also restore some old videos of when my kids were little. Haven't gotten a round to it yet.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

My youngest Granddaughter (9) sat in my car the other day, looked at the radio and said "What's that Poppy?" She meant the Compact Cassette sticking out of the front of the player! She'd never seen one in her life, and I must admit I'd never played one for several years. It's very similar to Antony's original question where he mentions floppy disc's. Floppy Disc's?

This "data storage" conundrum will only worsen in the future. Currently you store your photographs (possibly) in jpg (jpeg) format. This format uses algorithms to reduce data storage. However, with larger hard drives, broadband connections etc, do we need image compression?

So current/future formats aren't the big question, but backward compatibility.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    I liked betamax, but VHS won
    I liked Video 2000 which was far superior than those two formats, but like so often it was proper marketing that made the difference.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFlare View Post
    I liked Video 2000 which was far superior than those two formats, but like so often it was proper marketing that made the difference.
    I like Xara Extreme which is far superior ..
    IP

Hi all

Yes well things move one one dont they.

Well dvd drives would be a sort of predictable as there are a lot fo dvd drives available.

Saying that most of my machines have a dvd reader in, except 2 which have cd's.

Ther are several differant dvd drives - dvd writers, they then come in several flavours (besides the obvious speed) there are single layers, dual and quad!

Although i have a quad drive (cost less than my dual one) have yet to so these disks on the marker ( nice one sony)!

Going back to an early post, 'betamax': this was far superior that vhs in more ways than one, just proves the popularity doesnt always mean its better.

I think Sony do well, they brought to us the humble 3.5" floppy drive (amongst other things) and now their new inovation they have already slapped on selected models in their vaio lappy range.

What will happen is suppose only time will tell. Needless to say it looks like another upgrade session will be coming soon.

DVD's have advantages and disadvantages! i prefer to back up to cd (which the manufacturers prefer us to ditch for dvd). The reason is simple, i have lost software/data on both cd and dvd, cd not very often - dvd more than i wish for. With dvd you can lose a hell of a lot more than on cd

Even when i preach and practice 'not putting all my eggs in one basket' i still lost my 6 year collection of top notch screensavers and my entire back up of all the software that i've paid for and downloaded - and i cant remember them all on DVD. where as i've lost 2 cd's that were well outdated.
    IP

Unregistered Guest

I have DVD Burners at home and at work...

"The Banned"
    IP

I have DVD drives in my computers at home and at work, but they're only used for CDs. Mostly for software installation. Sometimes for archiving.

Tried using DVDs for backup, but I think they're a waste. I'm much happier with an external hard drive at home and the tape drive in the office.

BTW, I also have an external zip drive at home, which I still use for some interim data backups. It's just so much faster and easier than having to go through the burn process. And I can reuse the disks over and over again.
    IP

I have a DVD/CD RW combo and a DVD/CD reader on my desktop at home. I have a CD-ROM drive on my laptop at home (I'm retired so I don't have a work computer). I have the two computers networked wirelessly, so I transfer data over the network.

I teach a three-hour Computer Science course at a local collelge once a week. I carry my lesson materials (mostly PowerPoint presentations) to class on a USB flash drive.
    Charlie
    IP

Unregistered Guest

Cool Re: Do you have a DVD drive in your computer?

DVD's have advantages and disadvantages! i prefer to back up to cd (which the manufacturers prefer us to ditch for dvd). The reason is simple, i have lost software/data on both cd and dvd, cd not very often - dvd more than i wish for. With dvd you can lose a hell of a lot more than on cd

DVD-RAM is the right answer for backup.
    IP

Unregistered, I don't understand the last sentence in your post. Can you explain?
    Charlie
    IP