Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: How long have you been using Xara products?

Voters
466. This poll is closed
  • Less than a year

68 14.59%
  • 1-5 years

120 25.75%
  • 5-10 years

115 24.68%
  • More than 10 years

163 34.98%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How long have you been using Xara products?

Amazing as it might seem, Xara is 25 years old. How long have you been using our products?

Click here for a full history of what we've done over the years.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.
    IP

Thumbs up Re: How long have you been using Xara products?

Congratulations to Xara Ltd.!!!

CorelXARA was my first Xara software. It was the best solution to create stunning images for the Web. And more than 10 years later, Xara Xtreme is still my drawing program of the choice!

Regards,
    Remi

btw: I've never recognized, that Xara was the developer of "Fast Basic" on the Atari ST (perhaps, because my preferred programming language was "GFA Basic" at that time...). The good old days...
    IP

Default Re: How long have you been using Xara products?

sadly, i only started using it in Dec. 2005...
    wish i had sooner!!!
    -=Bob=-
    IP

About 10 years I think. My first was 3D3 as I recall. I have Xtreme, X1, Webstyle and 3D6 now. Trouble is I've moved to the Mac platform so I can't use them at present.

Ho Hum.
    IP

Unregistered Guest

I'd been using CorelDraw commercially for many years when I decided to find out what this odd little program, 'CorelXara 1.0' was... at first I was impressed by the speed. Simply awesome! I couldn't believe vector graphics could be so FAST! But it took some time and a couple of web projects before I realised what an incredible powerhouse was hidden beneath this deceptively simple program.

Xara has since become one of the loves of my life. Thank you and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

David Higgins

http://home.iprimus.com.au/davidhigg.../ART/index.htm
    IP

Unregistered Guest

Talking Re: How long have you been using Xara products?

When I saw Xara Web Style and started using it, my web pages changed completely... I now own all of Xara's products in the most recent versions, because they are simply the best....
    Congratulations Xara for hanging in for 25 years!!!!
    Garry Nelson
    IP

Lindsay Guest

I started using Xara (Computer Concepts) products in 1982 when I bought a site license for Interword for Scotch College Adelaide.

My RISCOS computer is still used daily to run my computer consulting business in British Columbia Canada and Impression Publisher is still my daily tool for word processing and desktop publishing.

Xara Extreme is now used to handle my graphics needs.

Xara is a quality company for products and service and deserves more recognition for its contribution to technology over the past 25 years.

Congratulations
    IP

OK, Here's some anecdotes..

First, our first Xara product - wordwise on the Beeb. I absolutely loved my BBC B (even though it arrived with a damaged keyboard that I had to solder to get it to work properly).

Wordwise was my wifes first introduction to word processing. The BBC showed 40 characters per line and it took a lot of education to stop my wife putting in a linefeed after 40 characters (wordwise wasn't wysiwyg).

The most interesting thing was how she used it. She used to print out her documents (mostly college essays) then get a scissors and literally cust and past the output using tractor roll paper (remember that?) and a stapler. Then, with everything re-arranged, she would use wordwise to change the original to match her creation...

When her final thesis had to be submitted we needed good quality output - our dot matrix was pretty poor (epson RX80F/T)- no match for a real typewriter.

I arranged with a college friend of mine to borrow a high-quality printer (I forget the name for them - they used golfballs with the letters on) over a weekend. The Thesis had to be handed in on Monday Afternoon and the printer had to be returned Monday AM too.

The printer was collected Friday afternoon from the college (about 30 miles away). We were all set, my wife had some editing to do and we needed some diagrams, but it would be no problem (she said).

Friday evening I realised I had the printer but no handbook or instructions. The internet hadn't been invented and there was no chance of getting any help. The big problem I faced was underlining things. Just how would I get this printer to underline?

Saturday morning I was writing assembly code to patch into the print routine for the computer. Wordwise had special characters that said when to start underlining and when to stop. I knew what wordwise was doing, so I alstered the print routine so that once we started underlining I would print the character, backspace the carriage, then print an underscore, for every character until the underlining stopped.

It worked a drem, though it sounded like a mchine gun when underlining. I worked all weekend (well into the night) on the printouts and revisions and printing diagrams. We finished at 11AM on Monday morning - I had a 60 mile drive to return the printer and arrive very late for work..

Thank you Charles and Xara - you saved the day. I often wish for a return to those good old days when computers really were fun..

Paul
    IP

Dave Walker Guest

Impression occasionally on me Dad's RISCpc, and then Xara X, X1, and Xtreme since about 2002, I think. And I'm evangelical about it! Can't wait for the Mac version so I can convert all my American Mac-using friends. They still find it impossible to believe that something British they've never heard of could be better than Illustrator. Oh ye of little faith...

Congratulations to you all. And I'll buy all those programs I didn't think I'd need on the 1st August!
    IP

Thumbs up Re: How long have you been using Xara products?

I started using Xara in the early 90's and have encouraged many people who were looking for a graphics app to get it.
    IP