Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Substituting colors

This has probably been answered before but, if so, I cannot find the answer I am looking for.

I need to be able to select a portion of my screen/picture/object that has one color (say blue) and be able to change THAT portion and That portion only to a different color (say pink).

For instance, if I had a color wheel and wanted to change all/some or one of the occurences of yellow (or shades of yellow) to black, is there a way to do this?

matelot

Default Re: Substituting colors

I think this is what you need.
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.

I think what he wants to do is take a pic already made (with NO named colors) and REPLACE colors - as in the color replacement tool in PSP7.

Do you want to replace colors in a vector or a bitmap image? Makes a big difference.

There is a utility, Search and Replace that you can download from the Xara Xone Shareware page that can replace one color in a bitmap with another if this is what you want to do.

If you want to do this with Vector objects, then it is best to create Named Colors (see Editing Named Colors in Workbook 43.

Gary

Has anyone (Gary?) used Sean Sedward's prg and care to comment on it? I have never heard of it. I read the info on it... sounds amazing.

Photoshop has the same thing. It's just simple Search and Replace for raster images. Photoshop of course allows you to be far more precise in selecting just part of an image to adjust like that but at the end of the day it's a raster function and Xara is a vector app with some stunning bitmap manipulation features, but it's in vector that it excels. A lot.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Bob

Download and try it. That's the best way to determine if it can do what you want. There is a short tutorial on the linked page as well.

Frank is correct, Photoshop is much more robust but if you are replacing solid areas of color, Sean's Search and Replace works very well.

BTW Even though Sean's filters are listed as shareware, try 'em, like 'em, buy 'em, I believe Sean years ago decided this was not his road to retirement and so all the filters are freeware.

Gary

Thanks to all who replied to my post I appreciate all you offer and now will try to assimilate it.
    It all seems a little over my head as a "newbie" but I think I can manage the Sedward plug.

Thanks again for being so eager to help people like me.

matelot

i can manage the Sedward plug.

Question Re: Substituting colors

I want to finally download sean's search and replace program. When I go to the download page, the first thing it shows is this:
    MSVCRT10.exe
    Below that is found the Search & Replace program.
    What's the msv prg? [I'd rather not dl it and then find out.]
    -=Bob=-

Looks like a downloader for the "MicroSoft VisualC RunTime.

Just the runtime support files for some programs written in VisualC.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.