Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Link to Website

Question Link to Website

Hi
    I'm quite new to homepage making, I decided to try making most stuff by coding HTML, however, I've run into a problem: I searched for my page in google and the only thing that showed up was my downloads page, but since I use frames to split the page, the menu didn't show...

PS. the page can be found at http://home.no.net/gwathir

anyone know how to fix this?

Default Re: Link to Website

The menu isn't showing because there's no page content for google to look at. I think most people avoid frames these days.

Take a look here: http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=35769

and check out meta tags, etc.

Paul

Thanks for the reply...but I would appreciate if you (or someone else) posted more exact what to do instead of directing me to a page I could read...

Manwë

I am suddenly thinking of "teach a man to fish and he can feed himself forever, give a man a fish and he can only eat once." (or somesuch saying).

If you try looking at the page sources of other websites besides your own in a browser you'll see stuff like this:

<meta name="keywords" content="Link to Website, Graphics forums,website design forums,web graphics forums,graphics software,Xara forums, Adobe forums, Corel forums, Macromedia forums, Photoshop forum,Paintshop forum, CorelDRAW forum, Xara Gallery, 3D graphics forum, graphics chat" />

<meta name="description" content="Link to Website Site design and publishing" />

(guess where that came from?)

These help the web crawler programs to decide what the page is about so it can be added to the google/yahoo/etc. database.

The problem with your frame index page is that it has no content to index. Also consider page titles which are also searched when compiling web indexes.

Better?

Paul
    Last edited by pauland; 04 September 2006 at 02:26 PM.

When one needs help, one might consider being a bit... err... grateful in advance, shall we say?

Good webmasters learn by reading the directions.

I thought it was rather nice of pauland to help at all.

Hehe

Yes, I was thinking that one could always read through the following...

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/present/frames.html

Quote Originally Posted by ShandaLear View Post
    When one needs help, one might consider being a bit... err... grateful in advance, shall we say?

Good webmasters learn by reading the directions.

I thought it was rather nice of pauland to help at all.
    I do agree indeed (and I did say thanks after his first reply), But I've been a bit buisy lately, haven't had time to check back here or do some work on my page.

thx for the help guys (hope it will help me figure out my problem )

Manwë

You should change the flash menu with a html one.
    If you have few hours, you can crate a nice menu without flash or javascript, which can be read by search engines.

That could be a good tip, and I'm happy you are trying to help, but it will not work, because the flash menu is only a part of a HTML document, and the site is still seperated by frames, not by the menu

Hello Manwe, I think I can help you out with your problem:

Search engines cannot search any Java/flash content. Therefore you use a "site map". The site map is actually not for the user but for the search bot. You can either put a small (even tiny, invisible) navigation somehwere together with the flash menu, or you can put a visible nav.

http://www.xaraxone.com/html/tutorials.html I give you Garys site as an example (see Gary I like your site). He has done some nice Javascript menues (on the top) but in the botton he has HTML links which are the same. So why make two nav bars which are exactly the same, only different visualy? Search Enginges.

Gary correct me if I'm wrong.

If I haven't made myself clear: Your menu is in flash, it has links to other pages. Make another navmenu only in simple HTML which will be at the same fram as your flash menu. Now you have two menues. The other one is bothering you? Make it invisible (black color on black background or tiny letters at the bottom), or you can make it a pretty one and name it.... "site map". Now you have an "excuse" for having two navigations. One is a nav and the other is "site map".
    Last edited by Availor; 13 September 2006 at 04:16 PM.