Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair brush (?)

Default Hair brush (?)

1. I would like to draw the individual hairs on a head - rapidly - and have them change from black to different, random shades of black/gray - back and forth - as I draw them. I cannot figure out how to do this. I went to edit brush and fill properties, but I can't figure out how. Any help?

2. Once a brush is made and possibly edited, how can I delete it if I no longer want it listed with that drawing or is that not possible?

Default Re: Hair brush (?)

Quote Originally Posted by -=Drifter=- View Post
    1. I would like to draw the individual hairs on a head - rapidly - and have them change from black to different, random shades of black/gray - back and forth - as I draw them. I cannot figure out how to do this. I went to edit brush and fill properties, but I can't figure out how. Any help?
    Drifter - I have spent many hours coming to grips with hair and I still haven't yet cracked it.

There are hair brushes but I prefer do not use them.

Things I have tried with varying degrees of success:

Draw a hair, size and shaped as required then draw another hair changing its size and shape as needed.
    Then create a blend twixt the two entering whatever number you like.
    Can then use the fill tool to give a varying fill across the whole blend.

Alternatively, having created your blend, you could ungroup it so you have individual hair lines which you can edit individually.

One thing I have been playing with is ungrouping a blend, changing the shapes of the lines, converting to shapes and then filling the shapes.

Another way is to draw a single hair as wanted then you can create many identical such hairs by simply dragging and dropping with a right click.

Re blends or groups - cloning then re-colouring and rotating or moving - even if only a pixel or two - you can rapidly multiply the number of hairs and create some good effects.

None of the above has given me exactly what I want but I think the answer is in there somewhere.

I hope someone will come to your rescue ... 'til then play around with the bove ideas - you may just get the result you want.

Attached is an example of how I have been playing with ideas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hairy.gif 
Views:	433 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	29431  
    Last edited by Intbel; 06 September 2006 at 07:18 AM. Reason: added gif
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.

Thanks Intbel. I too have tried the grouping and moving over a bit. I have NOT tried the blending idea - that's great - thanks.
    No idea about the deletion of a brush stroke once its made, eh?

Bob,

If you've created a brush, tried it and deleted all incidents of it from the page then it wont be saved with in the xar file.

However it will remain in Xtremes brush file until you close Xtreme.

Restart Xtreme, open up the previous brush xar and you'll only have brushes used in the file and not those previously made but not used.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thank you, Egg. So simple...

Check out Soquilli's post as well it may help http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=19353

Norm

Thanks Norm. Wow Bill! That is fantastic! I have printed out the instructions and also saved the files. Thanks.

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by -=Drifter=- View Post
    2. Once a brush is made and possibly edited, how can I delete it if I no longer want it listed with that drawing or is that not possible?
    Utilities/Galleries/Line Gallery/New/New Brush Stokes right click on the brush you want to delete, choose delete

Alright Judi!!!!!!! That works great! Once again, so simple. Thank you!

Drifter person - have a look at Valery's work and see how he did the hair with ellipses - that is most effective and (relatively!) simple.
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.