Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default taking notes w/ a drawing tablet

hello. i've never used a tablet, but was wondering how its used for taking notes. in class i type notes just into a txt file with notepad. pretty often we need to drawing tables, graphs, pictures, etc and i just draw those in my paper notes. but i would like to be typing in notepad and then somehow just draw into the notes with the tablet. is it that easy? i assume i wouldn't be able to use notepad, but that the tablet would come with simple software for this, right? thanks for the help
    IP

Default Re: taking notes w/ a drawing tablet

Quote Originally Posted by teamgood View Post
    hello. i've never used a tablet, but was wondering how its used for taking notes. in class i type notes just into a txt file with notepad. pretty often we need to drawing tables, graphs, pictures, etc and i just draw those in my paper notes. but i would like to be typing in notepad and then somehow just draw into the notes with the tablet. is it that easy? i assume i wouldn't be able to use notepad, but that the tablet would come with simple software for this, right? thanks for the help
    The pen or stylus which comes with the tablet operates near enough the same as a mouse.

The tip incontact with the tablet does exactly the same as moving a mouse on the desktop would do - the advantage of a stylus and tablet being that is is far easier to use when drawing - 'tis more natural than using a mouse and can be more accurate.

Although you can us the stylus and tablet as a mouse in all programmes it will only operate as a pressure-sensitive drawing tool in a graphics programme.

So to use it to write notes is quite possible but only in a grphics programme. Even then you will find it is easier to type.

Edited to add: easier to type: depends on the programe. In a vector prog like Xara X typing will be easier and quicker probably while in a raster prog such as P'shop using the stylus and tablet with an appropriate tool may be quicker at times.
    Last edited by Intbel; 02 September 2006 at 02:36 AM.
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.
    IP

right, i'd still want to type the notes, but have the tablet there to draw figures into my notes wherever they are needed. is there a program that allows you to type text like a word processor and then draw right next to the text?
    IP

right, i'd still want to type the notes, but have the tablet there to draw figures into my notes wherever they are needed. is there a program that allows you to type text like a word processor and then draw right next to the text?
    Most desk-top publishing programmes will do this.

If your notes are just a few words ( as attached) then a graphics prog is ideal - if it is mainly text the a DtP prog may be preferred.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Notes.png 
Views:	945 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	29289  

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.
    IP

my notes are probably mostly text or 60% text, at least. so if i got DTP software and a tablet i'd be able to do what i'm describing? thanks again for the help as i'm new to all this.
    IP

and also is there a good freeware or open-source DTP program you'd recommend, or better to buy one? again, i only need these basic purposes.
    IP

my notes are probably mostly text or 60% text, at least. so if i got DTP software and a tablet i'd be able to do what i'm describing? thanks again for the help as i'm new to all this.
    Yup.

Though really, unless you are going to do some serious illustration a drawing tablet is not necessary.

Take care choosing your DtP software ...

IP

Quote Originally Posted by Intbel View Post
    Yup.

Though really, unless you are going to do some serious illustration a drawing tablet is not necessary.

Take care choosing your DtP software ...
    oh, no tablet needed? how will i draw figures? just with the mouse? like say drawing the chemical structure of minerals, or tables and the like. i guess i'll give DTP a try and see what its about.
    IP

and also is there a good freeware or open-source DTP program you'd recommend, or better to buy one? again, i only need these basic purposes.
    Open Office should meet your needs.

'Tis free and and quite comprehensive.

http://www.OpenOffice.org

IP

oh, no tablet needed? how will i draw figures? just with the mouse? like say drawing the chemical structure of minerals, or tables and the like. i guess i'll give DTP a try and see what its about.
    You will find that tables will need no drawing.

Drawing with a mouse is not as difficult as it may sound - I haven't used a tablet since last year. (The battery in the pen went flat and I never got around to replacing it and now I haven't a clue where it is anyway. Bleh.)

IP