Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Anybody with font creation knowledge?

Hi all,

most of the time I make website mock ups and I'd like to try other apps like Xara for this. For my work it is important that most of the fonts look crisp (no anti-alias) and I've read the articles about "Pixel perfect fonts" and downloaded the free fonts, but all this just doesn't cut it.

To accomplish my designs I need pixel versions of Arial (+ few others) in several sizes.

To do this I bought FontFlasher from http://www.fontlab.com/ which pixelizes any font and outputs to Fontlab format from where I make the final output to Truetype.

That roundtrip works fine but I'm having problems with Xara showing crisp text. Specificly the problem arises with multi-line paragrafs. First two lines are great but the lines after that get gradually blurrier. Obviously IMO the problem is caused by glyphs position between the ascender/descender lines. BUT I'm too novice to fix this on my own.

So is there anybody with some font app and knowledge willing to help me here? If things are sorted out I'd be happy to share these fonts with all of you (if no copyright issue exists).

If anybody volunteers, I'll post a zip file containing the fonts.

- Markku

Default Re: Anybody with font creation knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Markku View Post
    Hi all,

most of the time I make website mock ups and I'd like to try other apps like Xara for this. For my work it is important that most of the fonts look crisp (no anti-alias) and I've read the articles about "Pixel perfect fonts" and downloaded the free fonts, but all this just doesn't cut it.

To accomplish my designs I need pixel versions of Arial (+ few others) in several sizes.

To do this I bought FontFlasher from http://www.fontlab.com/ which pixelizes any font and outputs to Fontlab format from where I make the final output to Truetype.

That roundtrip works fine but I'm having problems with Xara showing crisp text. Specificly the problem arises with multi-line paragrafs. First two lines are great but the lines after that get gradually blurrier. Obviously IMO the problem is caused by glyphs position between the ascender/descender lines. BUT I'm too novice to fix this on my own.

So is there anybody with some font app and knowledge willing to help me here? If things are sorted out I'd be happy to share these fonts with all of you (if no copyright issue exists).

If anybody volunteers, I'll post a zip file containing the fonts.

- Markku
    You will need to ensure your line spacing is an exact multiple of the pixel size,
    or subsequent lines will not line up on pixel boundaries.

Alex

Thanks Abligh!

I'm ashamed to see I'm not only novice with fonts but with Xara aswell (+ I don't read tutorials carefully).

I had played with the line spacing in this, but did it with percentages. As soon as I read your post I tried points and....IT WORKED!!!

Whoaa! Thanks. Now I know how to to do it and I have the fonts. I'm off to making new fonts and creating my first ever Xara web project.

Ps. You put an end to this thread very quickly with your answer. I thought it would have lasted longer. Better this way!

- Markku

Exclamation Re: Anybody with font creation knowledge?

Not points, PIXELS.

You need to set your units and rulers to pixels.

Right click on the page and select Page Options...

In the Units section, change your units to Pixels.

In the Grid and Rulers tabbed section, set your Major Spacing to 100pix (key it in exactly like that with no spaces) and in the Number of Subdivisions box, key in 10. Press OK to close the dialog.

Now you are set up to work in absolute pixels, which is critical if you are creating bitmap fonts.

Gary

Thanks Gary,

those were all good points and will be put into practice.

- Markku