Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default BUG REPORT - Pasting Text

I may have mentioned this before but it is really annoying. Very often, but not every time, if you select a block of text, cut/copy it and try to paste it into a different location, either in the same text object or into another one, it just pastes it as a new object. Its infuriating when you have spent a lot of time getting alingment and things right and just need to re-order the lines or something.
    Has anybody else experienced this and/or worked out how to avoid it?

Default Re: BUG REPORT - Pasting Text

I've never had a problem moving text around. Are you sure you have clicked within the text area of where you want to move it? Every once in a while, I've not been inside the text area, and the text becomes a new object.

Mickie

Bones, I've never had the problem you mention, except in the situation Mickie describes. Make sure your cursor is in the text area, sometimes it's difficult to see.
    -- Bob

Of course I'm sure. I can highlight text and paste to replace it and it will still create a new object and leave the highlighted text as is. I thought it may be related to files created on older versions of the application but it seems to work sometimes and not others. It could be related to specific fonts but if it is, then its definitely a bug because it never happenned in older versions. Otherwise it could just be broken files as it will do it every single time on a file where it does it at all.

The only way I can recreate what you describe is by 'Selecting' one piece of text and copying it, then 'Selecting' a second piece of text and applying paste. This results in a new text object. However, if the second piece of text is 'Highlighted', the copied text will replace it. If, on the other hand, the text cursor is placed somewhere in the second text the copied text will be added at the cursor position.

I don't want to teach Granny to suck eggs, but just to make sure we are on the same page, this is what I am talking about....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	select.gif 
Views:	286 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	29249  
    -- Bob

Please make sure you are using version 2.0f as I think there was an issue in this area that was fixed.

We are not aware of any current bugs in this area.

As always, if you suspect a bug, then we need exact repeatable instructions on how to reproduce the problem. Then we can usually fix it pretty quickly.

OK, how long has that been out? Why do I get notified of the same new movie 20 times but not of an updated version of Xara? I have 2.0e so I'll try updating.

Downloaded and installed, it seems to have fixed the problem.
    Last edited by BONES; 04 September 2006 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BONES View Post
    OK, how long has that been out?
    since 27th March 2006

I get this problem sometimes. You need to make sure that the text you're trying to paste into displays the triangle (that appears when you've highlighted the empty space at the end of the text). Then paste and it should put it where you want it.