Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Is this a bug with the text editor?

Is this a bug with the text editor, or is it the behaviour I should expect?

I have a document with two layers - a hidden bottom layer which contains text, and an empty top layer. I select the text tool while working on the empty top layer and click somewhere to start typing: I can type, but nothing appears. I can select text using SHIFT+cursors, but I can't see the characters.

I am, in fact, typing into the existing text area on the bottom layer and selecting the text without being able to see it.

This happens only when the bottom layer is set to be editable but not visible, so is I suppose strictly correct, but it is counter-intuitive to me because I can't start a new block of text on the layer that I can see unless I do it somewhere where there is no existing text on any other invisible layers.

This has been bugging me all weekend - I'm working on a 32 page brochure and have used a layer per page: all editable but invisible except the background template and current layer that I'm working on. If I'm not careful I can accidentally delete or overtype text that I can't see. To avoid this I'm having to make invisible AND uneditable each layer as I hide it. I can't select objects, only text, so I think it's unexpected behaviour and maybe it could be fixed in the next Windows revision?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Is this a bug with the text editor?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Is this a bug with the text editor, or is it the behaviour I should expect?

I have a document with two layers - a hidden bottom layer which contains text, and an empty top layer. I select the text tool while working on the empty top layer and click somewhere to start typing: I can type, but nothing appears. I can select text using SHIFT+cursors, but I can't see the characters.

I am, in fact, typing into the existing text area on the bottom layer and selecting the text without being able to see it.

This happens only when the bottom layer is set to be editable but not visible, so is I suppose strictly correct, but it is counter-intuitive to me because I can't start a new block of text on the layer that I can see unless I do it somewhere where there is no existing text on any other invisible layers.

This has been bugging me all weekend - I'm working on a 32 page brochure and have used a layer per page: all editable but invisible except the background template and current layer that I'm working on. If I'm not careful I can accidentally delete or overtype text that I can't see. To avoid this I'm having to make invisible AND uneditable each layer as I hide it. I can't select objects, only text, so I think it's unexpected behaviour and maybe it could be fixed in the next Windows revision?
    If you are not working on a layer then don't make it editable?

However, a possible solution:
    You can make all layers uneditable - then use the option to make current frame editable.
    That way, whichever frame you select will be automatically editable and none other. That may solve your problem.

I agree with your comment:

I can't select objects, only text, so I think it's unexpected
    It would appear that XaraXtreme works as follows:

If a layer is not visible, but editable you can't select it. (Try Select All)

This is not the case with text. If the layer is not visible but editable you can select the text in an accidental manner.

I would only say that this is an eccentricity to be aware of. Also remember that you can use Shift/Select in the Layers Gallery to quickly switch between several layers status.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Daniel, you might try this.

1. Go to Options>General and tick the option "Current layer always visible and editable"
    2. Make all your layers invisible and uneditable. Then as you select a new layer, only it will be editable/visible.

Not a great solution, but it may help in your current situation.

I've been moaning off and on for years about the counter-intuitive behaviour of layers. Mainly the fact that you can paste to a layer that is set to be uneditable/invisible if it also happens to be selected.
    -- Bob

Quote Originally Posted by stratocast View Post
    Not a great solution, but it may help in your current situation.
    Not a great solution? It's fantastic! MANY thanks for that... saves me loads of clicking and helps avoid the other problem you note - accidentally pasting to invisible layers.