Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cut out shapes?

Question cut out shapes?

Once i have a shape drawn, how do I cut a slice out of it?

Thanks.

Default Re: cut out shapes?

You need a shape to cut out of the other shape which we can call the cookie cutter. Select the cookie cutter shape and the bottom shape and from the Arrange menu, select Combine Shapes... Subtract Shapes.

Or you can use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl 2.

The cookie cutter shape disappears after doing its cutting so if you need a duplicate of the cutter shape, make one before you perform the operaiton.

Visit Workbook 35 for an explanation of all Xara's path commands.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cutout.gif 
Views:	519 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	29180  
    Last edited by gwpriester; 28 August 2006 at 10:06 PM.

To further the question. How do I "extract" the area delineated by the green border in the attached.

Name:	peachball.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	29190  

If you draw round the bit you want to keep and select both the drawn and original objects, Ctrl-3 will keep the bit shared by both objects and Ctrl-4 will keep both inside bit and the rest as two objects
    Tony

That is very tedious. Other tools you can extract by simply telling the tool to look for color differences.

Anything like that in XARA?

Xara is a vector editor with some raster functions - you would be better off using a raster editor (photoshop, paint shop pro, gimp, etc.) to extract the area you want, export it and then use it in Xara.

Ok I cut the shape as shown. However, when I export to gif or jpg it takes the white background as well. All I want is the shape itself.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Jpg can't have transparencies. You'll need to use gif (limited to 256 colours) or png (1000's colours but internet explorer has problems with these)

So export as a gif and just click the wine glass icon in the export dialogue box.

Name:	!1.gif 
Views:	473 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	29193  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 29 August 2006 at 02:43 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by PMH View Post
    Ok I cut the shape as shown. However, when I export to gif or jpg it takes the white background as well. All I want is the shape itself.
    You might want to take a little time to get a handle on the differences between vector/draw functions and bitmap/raster/paint functions, and on the characteristics of the standard bitmap formats, particularly gif, jpg, png and tif.

In this post, you mentioned the white background in a gif and a jpg. To have just the shape, you have to have a transparent background. Jpgs don't do transparency. With a gif, it can be transparent or not. In Xara's export dialog, look for the wineglass icon. When you're exporting a gif and you want it to have a transparent background, make sure that icon is depressed.

As for cutting your shape out of the bitmap, Tony's advice is the quickest and best approach. Using Xara's tools, it will take a few seconds' work. Use the Pen tool to click around the shape on a few major points, then nudge the lines into curves with your mouse pointer. If necessary, clean it up with the Shape Editor tool. Then intersect or slice as Tony says.

As for selecting your soccer ball peach with a magic wand (the common name for a "select by color" tool in a paint program), since its colors are black and white, which are at opposite ends of the color spectrum, I expect you'll have an interesting time trying to pick up the shape that way. OTOH, it might be a useful learning experience.

Between Xara's movies and Gary's XaraXone workbooks and tutorials, you can get a quick grip on Xara's tools and capabilities, with a pretty good graphics education thrown in for good measure.

For functions that are strictly bitmap, such as the magic wand, you'll need to poke around in some bitmap apps. Paint Shop Pro is a good place to go for that. You may be able to dig up an earlier release for just a few bucks. OTOH, the current version (Paint Shop Pro X) has an instruction panel open by default. When you select a tool, instructions for using it are right there. That could be helpful when you're just getting started.

Dear all Xtremers:

I consider myself a newbie although I have had XARA XTREME [X X] for over a year. I have been using CorelDraw and Photoshop for years, but I loved X X when I used it. I imagine myself using it for all my projects except for one thing. One and only ONE feature. That is selecting by color. Almost every project I work on I use Selection by color, i.e. selecting all areas having a particular color.

I tried using Color Names but after 12 hours of trying and using Help I gave up. I also used convert to Bitmap, but that is not very precise. whenever I go to Photoshop tome the feature I stay There.

I am very familiar of differences between vector wd raster images, but would like to have this feature in XX. Any way of doing this in XX, somehow?

Please HELP?

Thanks.