Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Xara and EXIF photographic data

Quote Originally Posted by mservis View Post
    Then I would like to use PaintShop pro and copy my .xar file to be transparent over each file. The problem is that a copy from xara to PaintShop Pro X does not copy the file transparent. I could import the picture into xara but then I loose all my EXIF data.
    Export the watermark that you have designed in Xara as a PNG with alpha transparency ("True colour + alpha" in the export dialog box).

You'll then be able to place it over your photos in Paintshop Pro and it'll be transparent as required.

Quote Originally Posted by minstrel View Post
    XPro should not be removing my EXIF Data....especially on raw file imports/exports.
    It's not so much "removing" the data, more ignoring it because it is irrelevant.

Let's say I have two photos - one of my desk and one of my radio. I use Xara to cut out the radio and make it look like it was on my desk. I export the image... which set of EXIF data should Xara use?

Minstrel,

I'm sorry, miscommunication. I was actually responding to the original thread not your specific post. That's why the confusion.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Jon,

I understand the need for EXIF Data. That isn't quite what I was trying (apparently badly) to get across. What I was trying to say/ask is "Is the EXIF Data of any use once it has been edited (In any editor)?

If I have a picture taken at F22 at 1/1000 sec and it's really dark and I import that into an editor. Manipulate the image - brighten it, crop it and touch up blemishes - Is the original data still of any use? Personally I think not, that's my point!
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    If I have a picture taken at F22 at 1/1000 sec and it's really dark and I import that into an editor. Manipulate the image - brighten it, crop it and touch up blemishes - Is the original data still of any use?
    Not the information regarding exposure and flash, but EXIF contains other information like the date and time that the picture was taken, or the type of camera.

So there is some EXIF data that could be useful even if you edited the image. Of course if it kept all the EXIF data in a case like this you'd probably get confused down the line when viewing the thing.

Strictly from a computer nerd standpoint just blindly saving and re-using all of the EXIF data would bother me in this case because some of it would be wrong. Getting into the area where you start selectively keeping some parts and discarding others leaves the land of "trivial to accomplish" fairly quickly. Not the least of which is how every user that's interested probably wants different subsets of the data kept, and then suddenly you're into coding up some big configuration dialog to specify what you keep and what you don't, then users complain it's too complicated and so on and so forth.

I'm totally biased on this (because if I want to edit a photo I use a photo editor) but I'd rather see work go into core functionality and tools that enhance Xara as a vector application rather than enhancing it as a vector application that's also trying to be PhotoShop/PSP.

Just because you can use a hammer to screw something together doesn't mean that it's a good idea to do it..
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

The last reading I received on this from Charles, is he feels the EXIF data should be kept. Which version will this ommission show up in is not up to me, or even Charles. Changing one simple thing in software can really open up a can of worms... Like possibly breaking the code for every file type export in xara. They are aware of it and the head guy thinks it is important, but it might not be cost effective to change the code just for that, or not at this time.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook