Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Make font THICKER

Is there anyway to make a font that is already bolded THICKER? I do not want to change the space between letters or words or make the words take up more horizontal space so kerning and spacing settings are out. Just want each letter to be a bit more dense.

The font is red with black outline. The outline has been adjusted thicker but if I go any further with that, I will lose the red interior, defeating the purpose of the two town font.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Default Re: Make font THICKER

Try duplicating the word and applying a thick outline to the duplicate and put behind your original. You may need to make the corners round rather than mitre. You can then adjust the thickness of the outline to make sure the letters don't touch etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thick.jpg 
Views:	1459 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	29009  

We don't want to make the outline thicker. The outline is fine the way it is.
    We want to make the font thicker so more red shows.

The font is Times New Roman Bold, in red with black outline as seen in the image attached.

The boss loves the overall design. He would like a slightly thicker lettering if possible so it is easier to see from a distance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Make the outline color the same as your fill color.

OR

Create a glow shadow which has no feathering or transparency and is the same color as the fill.

OR

Go to your Xara disk and look for a serif font similar to Times Romans but which is "thicker".

OK sorry.
    Same solution.
    Bold text add outline and make it the same colour as fill to produce thicker letters
    Duplicate and turn outline black on duplicate and make thicker still and place behind. Adjust outline of front object to make letters thicker or thinner as required.
    Adjust outline of back object to give you the thickness of outline you want.
    Derek

Name:	thick.jpg 
Views:	1690 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	29012  
    Last edited by masque; 23 August 2006 at 05:13 PM.

Samrc,
    Are you sure your using Times New Roman Bold? Looks to me like it is Times New Roman.

Name:	font.gif 
Views:	912 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	29013  
    Last edited by BQ; 23 August 2006 at 05:17 PM.

You can use the contour tool and then "inset path".
    You don't even need to convert text to shapes, it works straight from any text.

Name:	contour.gif 
Views:	1850 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	29015  
    Last edited by Luciano; 23 August 2006 at 05:24 PM.

Sure: Create your text in red without the black outline
    - click Bold
    - Create a clone of the text ( ctl-K )
    - Nudge the clone to the right a few times with the right arrow key until it looks better, but not so much that the serifs start to separate.
    - Group the original and the clone.
    - click on the outline control and choose your ouline thickness.
    - Done.
    ( note: the end result will be slightly wider horizontally, but only by the nudged amount)

-Andrew ( Text seen on a pregnant woman's t-shirt )

Name:	Fattening Red Text-resized.jpg 
Views:	1923 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	29014  
    Last edited by AndFarr; 24 August 2006 at 05:45 AM.

Yes, I am using the BOLD element, even though the image I pasted does not appear to do so. Even had my coworker look at it and he agreed too.

I did change font and even did a search for a WIDE version of the font, free preferably, but so far neither solution was right for me.

Will check into the other suggestions mentioned and post back later. Thank you for the input!!
    -Samantha

Adding outlines to a font to make it heavier is not the right answer.

The thing to do is to use a Type Face/Family that comes in more than the usual Windows 4 styles, Regular, Bold and Italic and Bold Italic.

There are several solutions. One is Softmaker Megafonts a German foundry that produces a range of typefaces that come in a large variety of weights, widths, and styles.

Another is Adobe Multiple Master fonts. Multiple Master fonts are user definable. You can make them as heavy or as light as you want. MM Fonts have between one and three axis and you can create almost any size shape and width of font. The downside to MM fonts is there are not that many to chose from and you need Adobe Type Manage. However this might not be true for Windows XP.

Another solution is Open Type fonts which come in a large variety of fonts, many of which have nore than the usual 4 styles.

Adding an outline to a font is almost as bad as using a tick mark instead of a proper apostrophe (alt + 0146).

Gary