Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Corel Draw 12 & X3 file problem

Dear all, i have a file which i have been working for almost a week and a half on and now all of a sudden corel crashed and now when i open this file on 12 it simply crashes and if i try and open it with the X3 it tells me the following " File K:/.......cdr contains an invalid object.

Than i have a selection to choose the following ABORT - RETRY - IGNORE

ABORT It just aborts the loading and thats it !

RETRY It crashes and Corel ARM laods up, tried selecting continue working but it still crashes

IGNORE It crashes and Corel ARM laods up, tried selecting continue working but it still crashes

Tried also the import command but still no go.

Is there some sort of utility to fix this issue please

Thanks for your interest in looking
    IP

Default Re: Corel Draw 12 & X3 file problem

Mybe is you attach the file in question or post it somewhere and some one could try and open it on there machine?
    I am not sure if forum allows cdr atachments tho'.
    Jim
    IP

Have you tried to open your backup file? Have you save it in increments in smaller portions just in case the worst happens, you have something to revert to?

At the end of the day on what I can't afford to loose, I save to another drive which in turn makes a back up copy of its own and again to my desktop.

I've been burned once, haven't let that happen again. It was because I was trying to do a book, heavy with large pictures, and just was asking more of DRAW than it could do, I ended up doing the project in Pagemaker because the book was 85 pages.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Yes tried opening the back up file but its still doing the same thing. No increment files as i have been working with corel for almost ten years now and i never had this sort of problem. I will try to upload it maybe some one can open it for me.

Regards

Ramon
    IP

I have had the same problem on extremly large files and lost them. What a bummer. I asked this question years ago here and someone suggested using an 'import' of that file to a new file. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. I hope it works for you.
    IP

I have the same problem using X3!!!!!!!!!!!

...and other messages appears when opening files in X3 like this:

"AN INVALID OBJECT ENCOUNTERED"
    and X3 can´t open file...

(PS: file created in Corel Draw 12)

PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!! HELP ME

Excuse my English... (I´m from Brazil)

Paulo Ricardo Lopes
    IP

Best thing is when you know the file is large is to back up on your own incrementally by pages as well as the document.

It is often a memory issue, when working you may not notice that you have sized down to fit some really large bitmaps, in which case they look fine on screen but are eating up lots of RAM. When importing, there is an importing script written by wOxxOm which resamples images at 300 dpi automatically and can thereby PREVENT problems.

Somethings which may help you open the file if it has not gone entirely corrupt, do not use any desktop wallpaper, it eats memory. Turn off any Terminate and Stay programs you can turn off in your right hand task bar of Windows, eats memory. Allocate DRAW 60% of your available RAM and set up your scratch disks. On a file of many pages and when working with color, it may be necessary to link your bitmaps to have the resources to keep working.

Put as much RAM in your computer as it can hold or you can afford.

I am great when it comes to using DRAW but you could try asking Foster Coburn as he has more years of experience about file recovery with DRAW. He may know of other things. that is the forum at unleash.com

If you have saved points in Windows Backup, you may be able to go back to some point in the file where you can open it.

If you have periodically made .pdfs during your process which is also adviseable on any project of long duration, then you can restore by reimporting the .pdf. Whereas it isn't a perfect solution as the text no longer flows, but stops at each line, it is better than nothing.

Good Luck
    Last edited by sallybode; 21 June 2007 at 02:36 AM.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Thumbs up Re: Corel Draw 12 & X3 file problem

Hi,

I have encountered numerous times of coreldraw file crashing and corrupted. Been working on a booklet few days for my client and waiting for final confirmation after his proofreading. My file is a s big as 250MB with plenty of BMP files. After trying numerous times to open up different 'incremental' backup files proved futile, I tried open up my habitual saving a PDF file after each time I save my cdr file. The pdf works well. All the data still intact though only need to set the page setup again. The paragraphs becomes lines instead. Still happy since my project only has minor spelling error to correct. This experince taught me to save another copy of PDF file under the " PUBLISH TO PDF" under "File" command. Hope this can help many of you out there who works heavily with Coreldraw. My experinece shares with Sallybode's advice.

P/S : Remember to set the pdf quality to high resolution!!!!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Ebug
    Malaysia
    Last edited by ebug; 02 November 2007 at 04:59 PM.
    IP

Hey All

In addition to the good information above, I would like to add a tip that has helped me with large files. When you save the file, in the "Save Drawing" window click on advanced and under "File Optimization" uncheck the "Use Bitmap Compression" & "Use Graphic Object Compression" options. This will result in much larger file sizes, but quicker saves and less corruption.

Murph
    IP