Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default saving an image for the web at the correct size

Hi - I'm running into a problem I've had before... I am trying to save an design I've done on CorelDraw 12 as a .jpg for someone to use on their blog. The problem is that it needs to be 900px wide. That is what I create it at, but when I save it to .jpg, the largest the image is saved at is around 700px.

I've tried increasing the size, but corel just makes the file smaller, back down to around 700px...

Not sure what to do. Is there a way around this in CorelDraw? Or do I need to move it into PhotoPaint to make save it larger? Or is there a way to get it onto Flickr at this size?

I'm just not sure how to get around this problem.

Help!

Many thanks!
    Karla
    IP

Default Re: saving an image for the web at the correct size

I do not understand your problem. I have just done a basic design in drawX3, converted it to a bitmap setting the resolution to 96ppi ( for a PC's monitor), then set width to 900 pixels maintaining aspect ratio and export as a jpg, and everything comes out fine exactly at 900 ppi. The results are identical whether I use 10 or 50 % compression on the jpg.
    IP

I don't have CD12 installed so can't check for changes. However in X3 you must check your raster (BMP) ouput size on exporting the selection to JPG.

See screenshots below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cdx3_save_bmp.png 
Views:	180 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	44574  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IP

Karla is the jpg 700 pixels on your system or only when viewed from the website?

It is possible the blog site limits the size and places width and height tags for the image.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Good thought Bill.

I've tried increasing the size, but corel just makes the file smaller, back down to around 700px...
    May have been a red herring
    IP

thanks for your replies.

I am using the "Save for the web" option on Corel, which creates a jpg. I'm not converting it to a bitmap first. I never have done it that way... should I??

As far as when it becomes a 700px width, that is how it uploads onto the web, whether through flickr, or on the page I am trying to put it on.

Is there something I need to change when saving it to insure that it stays at the 900 px width??
    IP

Well it appears Bill may have hit the nail on the head.
    X3 has no 'Save for the Web' option, but has 'Publish to web'. The Image optimiser module however only affects jpg compression, not actuall pixel dimensions. Flikr's formatting constraints will be the culprit. If they only allow 700px then you will need to create your image at 700px so that is shows at best quality. In other words, no - there's nothing you can do at your end to force Flikr to display it at 900px
    IP