Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: How photo-realistic do you consider this image?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Total convincing - I thought it was a photo

2 7.69%
  • Nice try, but does not withstand close scrutiny

16 61.54%
  • Unconvincing -obviously a drawn image

8 30.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F-15 Jet image

Default F-15 Jet image

I've not posted any new work for a while having been preoccupied with Comic Book work. However, as I recently completed an image to accompany an article on the recent conflict in Labanon I thought it might interest other Xara artists. The image shown has been slightly modified from the original to avoid political comment (so no political feedback please).

First of all the image is 100% Xara Xtreme vector art - no post-work whatsoever. I created 15 layers to maintain a disciplined approach - essential for this type of technical work. A reference photo was used for tracing shapes and sampling linear fills. The only bit maps in the image are those created by the fractal fills.

The background is a snag taken from Google Earth and vector-traced in Xara, while the cloud/smoke are fractal fills.

I draw ALL my shapes (less circles) using the Shape Editor Tool set to 'L' and then shape the curves using the same tool.

Xara's brilliant fill and transparency then bring the shapes to life.

Anyone that has seen any of my previous posts will be aware that I am a convert from Adobe Illustrator after 12 years loyal following - never to return.

Ray Jones
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cockpit snag 4 levi straus 02 WEB.jpg 
Views:	668 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	28779  

Default Re: F-15 Jet image

Hi Ray,

Very nice drawing. It does come close to being photo realistic. Personally I prefer the illustrative look you have. Shows skill. Photos can be artistic and require knowledge about expose settings, but is easier to achieve than a skillful drawing.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Yes, I voted it 'obviously a drawing' however, the average viewer would pass it as a photograph without a problem I think.

Still convincing though.

Folks on this forum look at things differently - or at least, I think they probably do. 'Tis only natural that if you spend all your time involved with illustration you're going to cast a critical eye upon every image you see.

That said, I think it is a fine illustration indeed, well worthy of praise.

great job!!!!!! i'm not voting. i love your artwork and really don't expect to see that much photography in here

[except for molucca - but his photos serve a different purpose]
    -=Bob=-

Quote Originally Posted by -=Drifter=- View Post
    great job!!!!!! i'm not voting.
    I nearly didn't - I hate such polls when I am unable to give a 100% positive answer - after all, am I qualified to judge?

On the other hand, I know if I ask for an opinion on my stuff I appreciate honest answers - that's why I ask.

I cannot fault the illustration - it won't pass as a photograph except for the casual observer though - and that was the question.

I agree with the others, it's an excellent illustration. I think you've been a bit hard on yourself with the poll choices, I think it works well with the illustrative look.
    -- Bob

Excellent work!!!

Excellent drawing! Very close to photorealism. The glass on the rear part of the cockpit doesn't seem to quite reach the support frame, yes/no?
    Again, great drawing.
    ron

Gosh Knightedduke - you are good!

Yes you are quite right about the misaligned rear cockpit. I must have moved it when I edited the image for upload. Your perceptive comment tells me that you must have examined my work pretty closely - thank you. I've seen some of your work and appreciate how meticulous your are with your images.

I know that you really understand Xara graphics - but for any beginner visiting the page I have attached an exploded view of the image to show how it was assembled.

Regards

Ray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cockpit exploded.jpg 
Views:	573 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	28789  

Without being told it was vector and you saw it casually in a mag I would think it would pass the test. Really nice drawing.
    Design is thinking made visual.