Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100% view

Lightbulb 100% view

In xaraxtreme, at what precent zoom am I looking at the image at 100%(real size, screen resolution)?

Also is screen resolution 96 or 72dpi?

I noticed when i export jpg or png at 96 it looks much better on screen than 72.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	28751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	96.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	28752  

Default Re: 100% view

okay funny thing happen here, in xara they both look the same size when i look at them, but here the 96 has enlarged why?

Here is the screen capture of both , if you see they are both the same size, 96 dpi looks much clearer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100 precent.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	337.5 KB 
ID:	28754  
    Last edited by behzad; 15 August 2006 at 04:31 PM.

According to what I read in this month's Xara outsider - pixel perfect fonts (way down below, in the box), if you have a PC, your res is 96 dpi. If you have a Mac, it's 72 dpi.

DPI stands for dots per inch, so it's a measure of the dot density of the picture you're looking at. So your 2 pics have the same size (in inches), but the one with 96 dpi is made up of more dots (or pixels?), which is why it looks slightly better when you zoom in.
    I'm not very good at explaining the deal with dpi and pic sizes, so I may be wrong. But I think the 72 dpi pic is output in IE on PC at 96 dpi and because the 72 dpi pic contains less dots, its size (in inches) is adjusted to this

In xaraxtreme, at what precent zoom am I looking at the image at 100%(real size, screen resolution)?
    100%, 96 dpi

Also is screen resolution 96 or 72dpi?
    Unless set differently on a PC 96 dpi

If you're exporting an image for web use set the dpi to 96.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Charles also talked about this in the context of Adobe usage of DPI:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=20457
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Wink Re: 100% view

Thanks

But the original question seems to be still left unanswered. I have grappled with this one myself.
    Basically, it is finding out the percent zoom I should use so I could view a bitmap in a vector program at the real size it would be displayed on screen (on a bitmap program at 100% zoom or in a web page). There seems to be no direct way of doing this in a vector program. Being resolution independent, it is not easy to get a preview of a picture in it's actual pixel size in relation to the monitor, it seems. I could be wrong, though...
    Take Behzad's screenshot, for example. One is 72 dpi, the other is 96. Different resolution but same size when printed, so a vector app displays them the same size. But both pictures when opened in a bitmap app and displayed at 100% zoom would be differently sized...

behzad -- The reason that the images are the same size in Xtreme, is that the pixel size of the two images is different. The 72dpi image has a pixel size of 330x374, the 96dpi image is 440x499. The 72dpi image been resized for display at 96dpi in Xtreme (ie. both bitmaps display at a size of 440x499 pixels). A bitmap program (like XPE for instance) will display the images at their true pixel size and calculate the print size of 11.6 x 13.2 cm (4.6 x 5.2 inches) from the dpi.

Grafixman -- Regarding the viewing of bitmaps. In Xtreme, 100% zoom will show a bitmap at it's true screen size. As explained above, the pixel size of the 72dpi image is 330x374, giving a true screen size of 440x499 when viewed at 96dpi. If you export the 72dpi bitmap from Xtreme at the default 96dpi resolution, it will be 440x499 pixels in size, exactly as you see it on screen.

However, when dealing with print, 100% zoom will probably not give a real-world view of your page. This is monitor dependant and your monitor needs to be set up to match the pixels to a real-world dimension (I think CorelDraw has a utility to do this), but I don't bother with all that. Just view a blank page in Xtreme (I use A4), hold a piece of A4 paper up against the monitor and adjust the zoom setting so they match. Remember the setting(for me it's 90%) and use that zoom setting any time you wish to view your page at it's real-world size.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by stratocast; 16 August 2006 at 10:42 AM.
    -- Bob

Thumbs up Re: 100% view

Cool your one smart monkey