Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Help Sphere?

Default Help Sphere?

Ive look for days on this forum i have the Xara3D 6 been trying to create a spinning aqua globe inside a stationary frame of a globe depicting the lines of latitude and longitude. can anyone please direct me in the right direction im new at this but have been putting alot of hours into it im learning but unfortunately im running out of time.This image is just an example trying for this type of design straight not angled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	globe5.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	28493  
    Last edited by Jag368; 08 August 2006 at 10:07 PM.

Default Re: Help Sphere?

Hi Jag
    Forgive my ignorance but what is an 'aqua globe'.

Anas

Jag368, Welcome to the forums.

This is the best I've managed so far today, the image is straight from Xara3D, and merely cropped in XaraXtreme, to remove the enormous sizing pixels the process generated. With appropriate textures, it would be perfectly possible to have the globe inside appear to spin, while the outside frame remained still. Is this the sort of image you were after?

The metal longitude rings are all the same hollow circle imported from XaraXtreme, and given different swings within one of Xara3D's inbuilt animations, and the latitude rings are more of the same ring, but with different line-sizing and object sizing. The internal globe is a single pixel blown up with large extrusion and round bevel settings, and given a single texture I had lying around from another thread.

Mike

Name:	Globe&Grid 2.png 
Views:	291 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	28621  

Another view.

Mike

Name:	Globe&Grid 3.png 
Views:	281 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	28622  

Fantastic Mike,

Quote Originally Posted by simsmj View Post
    but with different line-sizing and object sizing.
    What do you mean by line sizing?

Anas

Line sizing (Line spacing is what the tooltip calls it) is the vertical size of the text lines in xara3D. If you place objects or text on separate lines in X3D, you can change the height of the lines to make these objects move vertically in relation to each other. If the line sizing is set to 0% for the whole file, then all objects coalesce into the centre of the screen. By selecting specific objects, you can adjust the line sizing for individual lines.

Changing an object's size not only makes it larger or smaller, it also adjusts its vertical position, moving it up or down. It is a rather fiddly process, so I tend to use trial and error on these things, but it is another positioning option.

Mike

Well, Mikes done it again. As far as xara3d, I think Mike has a strange convoluted mind that see's in some strange dimention unknow to the rest of mankind, either that or is an Enstien. Either way, you keep creating wonders and deserve a mighty congratulation........a jealous wantabee.....afraid I can't, haven't and won't.....suffering from rare malady called "'tit cerveau" better know as small brained........frank

p.s....still playing with gear tutorial when I find time, but using most my spare time right now reading a manual on linux again, and again, and again. Been reading for 10 years now and am still no futher ahead......you think I will ever master 3d....not likely but as long as the old eyes still work, I can live my life's dream through your's and Intbel's work
    .............frank

Thanks Mike,
    Using X3D past its potential again

Anas

Started again, only this time used sizing pixels for all the rings as well as the globe, this let me reduce the grid to somewhat larger than the globe. Side effect is that the rings appear relatively thicker.

Once I have a series of textures for the turning globe, I'll try animating it.

Mike

Name:	Globe Grid 3.png 
Views:	263 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	28625  

Quote Originally Posted by simsmj View Post
    Started again, only this time used sizing pixels for all the rings as well as the globe, this let me reduce the grid to somewhat larger than the globe. Side effect is that the rings appear relatively thicker.
    Once I have a series of textures for the turning globe, I'll try animating it.
    Mike
    That is most excellent!

I find the 3D stuff most confusing, being more at home with the animation capabilities of Xara X.

Just so's not to be left out, I produced this.
    The lighting is all wrong, I know ... but what the hell, I'm jus' playin' ...
    Attached Images Attached Images