Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Special Request to Jonathan Payne

Hello All

I write to ask a special favor. I am finding that the excellent .xar thumbnail viewer installs, but does not work with windows XP x64 bit. My computer recently crashed and I installed win x64 (big mistake too late to correct).

Please please post a version that works for 64 bit windows or tell me if there is a workaround.

Thank you and best wishes

Bayan

Default Re: Special Request to Jonathan Payne

Recent version of Xara have their own thumbnail viewer - i.e you shoud get it automatically when the program is installed. And that works on 64-bit Windows I'm pretty sure.

Thank you very much for the reply Charles. I have the most recent Xtream (CD) version and windows does not display a thumbnail of Xara files. Is it manually installable? How / where do I look for it?

I am very grateful for any help..

Bayan

Bayan,

It should do it automatically. Are you in thumbnail view. Do your .xar files just show the Xara logo in them?
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

>> Are you in thumbnail view?>> Yes
    It only shows the Xara Logo - Yes..

I have un-installed Xara, dowloaded version f, and installed - no benefit.
    I re-installed the .xar viewer, but again no benefit. still no thumbnail!

Thank you

Bayan

Hello all

Would it help if I edit the registry in windows to force it to display xara's thumbnails?

If so what do i have to change?

Thank you again

Bayan

I thought it was X1 that had the thumbnail viewer included and it wasn't available in Extreme. Rich

I would try the following steps:
    1. Login as Administrator or a user with Administrator rights (important!)
    2. Uninstall Xara Xtreme
    3. Reboot Windows (a Reboot is sometimes necessary, because some deinstall programms needs to delete some files during the next restart)
    4. After the Reboot: Login as Administrator or a user with Administrator rights
    5. Open the Windows Explorer and go to the install directory of Xara Xtreme (usually c:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Xtreme) and rename it to "Xara Xtreme old"
    6. Open the Windows Registry Editor (Windows Startmenu -> Execute: Type in the word "regedit" in the Dialogbox).
    7. Within the Registry Editor go to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Xara -> XaraXtreme".
    8. Note: The next step, is a critical one! Be careful and don't destroy your complete Windows registry! Ok: Select the Registry Key "XaraXtreme" and delete the Key with all subkeys.
    9. Perhaps, it's the best to do another reboot and start with a new, clean Windows session.
    10. Download XaraXtreme again (perhaps your old download is corrupt)
    11. Install XaraXtreme.
    12. Look at XaraXtreme's splash screen and control the version number. If your version number is <2.0f, then you has to install the XaraXtreme 2.0f-Patch, too.

Regards,
    Remi

Quote Originally Posted by molucca View Post
    I thought it was X1 that had the thumbnail viewer included and it wasn't available in Extreme. Rich
    No, the thumbnail viewer is included in the Xara Xtreme installation, as Charles said.

Just curious. I removed X1 and installed Extreme, but don't remember having a thumbnail view. I reinstalled X1 to get the thumbnail view.

I do have Extreme f now. Can I uninstall X1 and still have the viewer. I think I will leave things as they are for now, in any case.

Was the viewer always in Extreme, or added in the latest patch?

Rich