Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Background problem

Putting an animation on a page never bothered me. Since I have a 8mbit connection, what I see on the screen loads instantly, usually.

People that still have 56K modems shouldn't really be surfing the web anyway in my opinion. It's good for email and casual reading of web pages, but not for general surfing.

With flash everywhere, animation is more the normal than not. Although a bit outdated GIF animation and its editors has its uses. For instance, in editing frame by frame scenes for overlays for movie production (if you don't have a flash editor.)

(downloads a 200mb file in less than a minute and snickers)

People that still have 56K modems shouldn't really be surfing the web anyway in my opinion
    Hi James

A lot of people don't have the choice. You take what you can get and what you can afford. Up where we are, the high speed only came in two years ago and is still restricted to people in our village. 10 minute walk and your on dialup country. These people do browse, do search and do buy on the internet so a person wanting their money has to take this into consideration. Up here we have two languages. Only want to use english you only hurt yourself since 60 to 90% of the visitors will be french.

It might sound like I'm against animation or flash or all the new technology, well I'm not. I just think that people trying to design a site have to concentrate more on the subject they are trying to put over. Text downloads in zero seconds, it's images that take time. A friend used to email me 3.5 mega pixel photos that took 10-12 minutes a piece to download and I finally convinced him to resize to 500 pixels wide and they came in at around 15 seconds. If you haven't experienced this you don't think of this when designing. An example....how many people are posting images on the forum larger than the suggest 600 pixels. I am forever having to scroll left and right while viewing and then while reading text with these postings. They post what they see and overlook that not everybody will see the same thing. Same thing with creating a site with fancy text.....a hugh waste of time if the majority of the viewers don't have the same text in their computer since your site will just revert to the default text of the viewer.

In Calypsoh20's case, if this is what the client wants, go for it. You hand people business cards with the site adress printed on them and these people, who are the people your trying to attract will be willing to wait for a slower site. Bit if it were me I would at least put the artist name and a message of some sort on the same page (zero download time) so people know what they are looking at when they get to this page. However, what makes good sites and good browsing is that people do what they want, what they think and what they see, giving us lots of variety. Otherwise, we would all use templates designed by so call experts and then wouldn't the internet be a boring place. So Calypso....go for it and I am sure you will do a fantastic job......frank
    .............frank

Quote Originally Posted by Seagull
    Hi James

A lot of people don't have the choice. You take what you can get and what you can afford. Up where we are, the high speed only came in two years ago and is still restricted to people in our village. 10 minute walk and your on dialup country. These people do browse, do search and do buy on the internet so a person wanting their money has to take this into consideration. Up here we have two languages. Only want to use english you only hurt yourself since 60 to 90% of the visitors will be french.

It might sound like I'm against animation or flash or all the new technology, well I'm not. I just think that people trying to design a site have to concentrate more on the subject they are trying to put over. Text downloads in zero seconds, it's images that take time. A friend used to email me 3.5 mega pixel photos that took 10-12 minutes a piece to download and I finally convinced him to resize to 500 pixels wide and they came in at around 15 seconds. If you haven't experienced this you don't think of this when designing. An example....how many people are posting images on the forum larger than the suggest 600 pixels. I am forever having to scroll left and right while viewing and then while reading text with these postings. They post what they see and overlook that not everybody will see the same thing. Same thing with creating a site with fancy text.....a hugh waste of time if the majority of the viewers don't have the same text in their computer since your site will just revert to the default text of the viewer.

In Calypsoh20's case, if this is what the client wants, go for it. You hand people business cards with the site adress printed on them and these people, who are the people your trying to attract will be willing to wait for a slower site. Bit if it were me I would at least put the artist name and a message of some sort on the same page (zero download time) so people know what they are looking at when they get to this page. However, what makes good sites and good browsing is that people do what they want, what they think and what they see, giving us lots of variety. Otherwise, we would all use templates designed by so call experts and then wouldn't the internet be a boring place. So Calypso....go for it and I am sure you will do a fantastic job......frank

*releases the grip on Seagull's chain he was jerking*

Hey Calypso

You haven't been around for several days now and your thread is dropping down there. Let us know how it's going with the web site. We know about your index page but how about letting us know about the rest of it........frank
    .............frank

Here is Avi file created in SwishMax incorporating my background
    CalypsoH20
    Photo.avi
    jim