Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Install problem

Default Install problem

Hello, I am new in this forum and is my post is inapropriate, please excuse me.

I am writing hoping that someone from Xara is checking this forum.
    I have received today my Xtreme CD-ROM but I am having problems during the install:

Since I have not been able to locate any uninstaller (neither in the Xara group of the Start menu, nor in the Ad/remove programs applet of the Control panel) for the unlocked download version, I have thought that I am supposed to install the CD version in the same folder as the unlocked trial version. But it seems that I am having problems in this process...

I choose "Install Xara Xtreme" in the RunCD applications that launches when I insert the CD-ROM in the drive. The setup seems to start, it asks me some questions (Name and Organization; components to install) then it just disappears and leaves me alone again with the RunCD application. When I do CTRL+ALT+Sup, I cannot see Setup.exe in the Windows task manager. And it does not seem to take anytime to copy on the HD the elements I have asked (clipart and all). When I restart Xtreme, the about box indicates that I am using the download version (there is no serial number).

What am I doing wrong? In the first install trial with the CD, I have provided my usual first name + family name in the "Name" setup box, instead of my user name that I have used to unlock the download version. But in the following trials, I have tried to give this account as the name and this does not seem to solve the problem... Moreover, the setup has never asked me the serial number I have received with the CD-ROM, is this normal? The Xara FAQ tells that the CD-ROM is supposed to contain the full version and hence, this element should not be the source of the problem.

I would be very grateful to you if you could help me to solve this problem and to install this magnificent software that I have bought. Maybe someone else has already met the same problem.

Very cordially,

Murat

Default Re: Install problem

Well,
    Just to tell you that I have been able to solve this strange problem. For a reason that I ignore, the initial installation of the download edition has not registered itself in the Ad/remove programs applet of Windows XP. So, I had to try to install the CD-ROM version over the DL version and this was probably the source of my problems. I have reinstalled the DL version and the second time it has registered itself and allowed me to uninstall it properly before installing the CD-ROM version and it worked without any problem this time.