Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Where is the stroke width control?

Hello,

I beg your pardon for mixing design and marketing, specially when this forum appears to be out of the eyes of decision makers and professionals in the field, but I could not stay still after years without a feature included in all Xara competitors, having the Open Xara's motives letter and the same answers for other features (slide tool, dynamic bitmaps effects) in mind.

The final thing I want to add related to marketing follows the comment made by Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tonylondon
    Despite having Fireworks, Illustrator and CorelDraw I still use Xara Xtreme for most things...
    The fact is users should work with Xara for every thing and drop Corel, Illustrator and Fireworks , this is the goal for most products where the loyalty is achieved not for the price or how easy to use can be (Adobe paradigm is truly complex), but by the sensation that it is the solution for the user needs. If you allow him to work with Photoshop, he will learn how to try Illustrator and he will drop Xara, the same about Fireworks and Flash.

I truly believe that Xara is not made to be a second class /cheap product. For me, its low price is for inviting prospects to try it, instead of raising its price and invest in big money/risk campaigns with a pop star making such invitation, then I refuse the concept of “forgiveness” because it is not “expensive”, specially being a British product.

Neither is valid to support a marketing decision only with surveys within the current users, they are already believers. The opinions needed for increasing the marked share are between those that may know Xara and are not using it.

Intbel,

Using the Web design as example, when you make a Web page layout, you have to use pixels for borders, images, tables, window sizes, etc. if you want to easily codify/deploy it (Except in fonts where points are better for browser portability). Neither HTML or CSS handles the stroke trace in the middle of the stroke with.

Other example is when you are making a picture that must be 10 X 10 pixels, I prefer to set the guide lines to 10 X 10 and the stroke width “inside”, than any other option where I have to be aware of what parts of the lines are out.

Charles,

Please add to the wish list those features, pixels as units and stroke width positioning and by the way, the bitmap editor improvement (Currently it looks like a Java made patch/plug in).

Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Moir
    You can enter line stroke widths in any unit you like. And yes if you enter say 3pix, it will show this as 2.25pt, but that's exactly the same as 3pix. IN fact you can enter any values for any field in any unit you like.

I guess we've always shown line widths in points, because that's been the traditional measure unit. I recall there was a discussion at the time and people asked that lines always be shown in points. But I can certainly add it to the wish-list for future versions that line widths be displayable in any units. It is a bit weird that they can't.
    Talking of wish lists, I long for a button whereby with a single click I can reverse the order of animation frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko
    ...Other example is when you are making a picture that must be 10 X 10 pixels, I prefer to set the guide lines to 10 X 10 and the stroke width “inside”, than any other option where I have to be aware of what parts of the lines are out.
    As usual, Xara already has something to take care of you. There is a 'Scale line widths' button that can be used for exactly that purpose.

Create a rectangle that you want to be 10pix X 10pix, for example. Give it a 3 pt line width. Make sure that the 'Scale line widths' button is pressed. Enter your desired dimensions in the resizing boxes. (You might have to make certain that the 'lock aspect ratio' button is disabled. It is the small 'lock' button that is enabled below. As I had it enabled, it does not appear that you need to disable it, but I thought I'd mention it.)

(In the following pic, box B is 10x10 without the line widths being taken into account.)

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScaleLineWidths.png 
Views:	212 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	28404  
    Last edited by David O'Neil; 06 August 2006 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko
    Intbel - Using the Web design as example, when you make a Web page layout, you have to use pixels for borders, images, tables, window sizes, etc. if you want to easily codify/deploy it (Except in fonts where points are better for browser portability). Neither HTML or CSS handles the stroke trace in the middle of the stroke with.
    They don't? That's summat else I didn't know.
    >shrug< not a problem for me.
    So long as things appear how and where I want them to appear - no worries.

Intbel, forget it. It seems to me, he is just a trouble maker who loves to say such things like that "this forum appears to be out of the eyes of decision makers and professionals in the field".

Normally, I would discuss with him, but he isn't willing to learn something about Xara Xtreme and the same with HTML/CSS too (with "fonts where points are better for browser portability..." lol).

So, who cares?
    Last edited by remi; 06 August 2006 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by remi
    So, who cares?
    Not I.
    I have no problem with browser portability - I gotta laptop.
    http://www.intbel.com/images/smileys/Mine/rfb012.gif

Talking of wish lists, I long for a button whereby with a single click I can reverse the order of animation frames.
    Whoaa there a minute. I want in on this one. If Intbel get his wish list button then I want a button too. I want a button that will give me imagination, talent and lots and lots of money. Now there's a challange for the designers, html or no. And if they want to throw in a third button (one for Intbel, one for me) that gives a guy lots and lots of women throwing themself at him, well, I think my wife will take my xara toy away from me so better to forget the last button Mr. designer guys. And good luck and may God help you trying to give me talent; you guys have got a long, hard road ahead of you, long nights and lots and lots of coffee. If you want, just forget the talent idea and give me money instead.......frank the forever untalented but hopefully soon rich
    .............frank

Quote Originally Posted by Seagull
    Whoaa there a minute. I want in on this one. If Intbel get his wish list button then I want a button too. I want a button that will give me imagination, talent and lots and lots of money. Now there's a challange for the designers, html or no. And if they want to throw in a third button (one for Intbel, one for me) that gives a guy lots and lots of women throwing themself at him, well, I think my wife will take my xara toy away from me so better to forget the last button Mr. designer guys. And good luck and may God help you trying to give me talent; you guys have got a long, hard road ahead of you, long nights and lots and lots of coffee. If you want, just forget the talent idea and give me money instead.......frank the forever untalented but hopefully soon rich
    Don't worry about money ... talent and imagination will provide that.
    Imagination and talent can be acquired ... no problem there.
    Just takes time and perseverence. (So I am told)

That just leaves the women thingo - no thanks.
    I've had my fair share of women over the years and they've had more than their fair share o' me.
    And my wallet. Grrr.

So, your point is what? I can't have a button too. At my age it's getting too late to aquire anything that requires time. I want a button too.....frank
    .............frank

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sgb.png 
Views:	169 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	28430