Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Default Re: How do I make jpeg image background transparent?

try to use easy to read and simple font.Use less graphics !
    IP

Hi All, this query has bugged me personally for some time and I have finally found the answer - it's quite simple. This is my first post and decided you guys deserved to know what I found works as it was this forum that got me on the right track coupled with a couple of other videos on you tube. I have used illustrator for several years, though I'm self-taught, so will share my knowledge on this topic and hope that it helps someone out. It may be a clumsy way to do this, but it works.

It's true jpg does not support transparency so as suggested by others it needs to saved in a different format, for me, I use eps. Assuming you have placed the jpg you wish to clip into your document, follow these steps:

Step 1. Increase the view size of your document to anywhere between 300% and 800% in size (depending on the detail and clarity of the jpg placed) to make working on this easier.
    Step 2. Using your pen tool create a very neat path by clicking your left mouse button around the outline of the portion of the jpg you wish to keep, creating a path - remember to 'anchor' the selection on your final click (selection) to form a closed shape.
    Step 3. Using your selection tool click on the path you have just created and holding down your shift key, click once on the remaining section of the jpg (the portion you don't want), select 'object' and 'group'.
    Step 4. Then select 'object', clipping mask, then make.
    Step 5. File, 'save as' - choose your format style, so in my case it's eps.

Done! Hope this eases the frustration for some of you.
    IP

You could do it with Xara. With the shape tool draw round the roses and close shape, Select the shape and the roses (be sure to have the shape in place on top of the roses). From the arrange menu select combine shape>intersect shape. Save selection only as PNG this will give you a transparent alpha channel.
    Hope this helps...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Creamlistner View Post
    There are better ways >.>
    If your using PS(photoshop) than heres how.
    In your tool box there Is an eraser, If u right clikc It says "background eraser"
    This will let u click on the white and It will turn It transparent.
    If you have trouble with that, use the pen tool to outline the flower and copy and paste It onto a transparent doc.
    Try this out and let me know how It goes.
    Save as Png. Otherwise It dosent work, jpeg dosent do transparent =)
    This worked perfectly for me Creamlistner. Thank you so much!!! I actually got rid of my background (made transparent) by using the magic wand to select patches at a time and then once selected, I'd right click and select "cut via layer". I ended up having 12 layers, but it seems like I don't even need to do that next time! Great tip! Saved me a lot of time.
    IP