Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Default Re: How do I make jpeg image background transparent?

By the way, (and bearing in mind this thread is about Photoshop and Illustrator only) you can do this clipping in Xara Designer Pro then copy the result to the clipboard and paste into Illy, the clipping path is retained.
    IP

While it is about PS and AI, the question was raised about why a JPG is transparent in ID. As well, it isn't about Xara products either...

Take care, Mike
    IP

Yes, Mike - I was apologizing for bringing up Xara in my post.
    IP

Well, heck. Misread that one, didn't I? On a lighter note, it is at least an Xara forum...and ID is an Adobe product. So we're both good

I actually got to page two before I realized how old the thread was. But because it had popped up on the new post search I read through the thing. There are so many methods to skin this cat, it really boils down to pick one's tool of choice and get the job done using what the tool offers to accomplish the job.

Take care, Mike
    IP

thanks Mike I get the, er, picture now
    IP

This thread is as relevant today as when it was first launched. I've just done a screen dump to illustrate the problems I'm getting and am unable to resolve as PS is not my forte and I need to convert a logo with a white background so that I can import the converted image into AID. When I followed what appeared to be the simplest procedure of all the suggested methods, I was unable to pass first base.

I want to remove the white background completely leaving just the the image and text without any white background whatsoever. From what I've seen on this thread, the best way for me to do this would appear to be the background eraser tool which gave me a CS5 error message: Could not use the background eraser because the target channels do not cover the composite".

What are the "target channels" and "composite" and how do I make the former cover the latter so that I can move to the next stage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	93758

Thanks for all your help in anticipation.

Kind regards
    Last edited by metoo; 27 December 2012 at 05:27 PM.
    IP

Welcome to TalkGraphics metoo

If I were going to do this in Photoshop, I would use Select > Select Color Range, sample the background color, Invert the selection and Cut it to the clipboard.

Then create a new document, the same size, with the transparent background option and paste the selection into the new document.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	logo.png 
Views:	157 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	93760  
    IP

Hi there GWP and thanks for your advice. I had thought I'd posted a reply but perhaps it's just as well that it seems to have gone astray. Although my output is transparent in Photoshop when I've imported it into InDesign, the image isnt at all transparent. I've even put it onto another layer and at the back. I've then used a black swatch for my page but the imported jpeg just shows up as a white thingy. What am I doing wrong? On second thoughts Am I doing anything wrong and how can I put it right?

Many thanks
    IP

Ah, JPEG does not support transparency. So, you need to save the image as PSD, PNG, or TIFF with transparency.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Ah, JPEG does not support transparency. So, you need to save the image as PSD, PNG, or TIFF with transparency.
    Sorted GWP - thanks for reminding me of that. But loads more issues. eg setting paragraph styles for different design issues, layers etc etc etc. Will post in due course and hope people will bear with me. Seasonal greetings.
    IP