Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: How do I make jpeg image background transparent?

Quote Originally Posted by Creamlistner View Post
    There are better ways >.>
    If your using PS(photoshop) than heres how.
    In your tool box there Is an eraser, If u right clikc It says "background eraser"
    This will let u click on the white and It will turn It transparent.
    If you have trouble with that, use the pen tool to outline the flower and copy and paste It onto a transparent doc.
    Try this out and let me know how It goes.
    Save as Png. Otherwise It dosent work, jpeg dosent do transparent =)

This is pretty much correct, but you have to change a few settings to delete only the white background:

Select "background eraser"
    At the top set "limits" to Contiquous, "Tolerance" to 50%, Tick "Protect Foreground Color" and set "Sampling" to Once

Set Color of foreground to Red and background to White and that should erase the background with deleting the image itself

Save as Png or Gif
    Last edited by Yerl; 09 February 2009 at 02:03 PM.
    IP

Hey there,

So my understanding of jpgs has been turned on its head as of today!

Check out the attached and place it in an indesign doc... then tell me how on earth this jpg has a transparent b/g??!!??

I don't know how they've done it! There is a RGB/8# in the title of the file in PS... and I can't seem to get the # in there on other jpgs no matter how I save them?! However, this may not have anything to do with it...!

Completely perplexed,
    Rexoids!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oak Strawberry_600ml angled_sml.jpg 
Views:	1222 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	64754  
    IP

the file you posted is a jpg and does not have a transparent background
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Hi Rexoids, what you have to get your head around is that any bitmap (.jpg, .gif, .tif, .png or whatever), is a rectangular shape that is made up of a matrix of pixels. Some of these pixels may well be white and look transparent if placed against a white background and may appear to be not rectangular, like your carton.
    What needs to be done can be accomplished in several ways. Using a pixel pushing program like Photoshop or Paintshop Pro, where it is possible to select portions of the picture by their colour using a magic wand tool.
    Or you can use a vector based program like Illustrator, CorelDraw, Inkscape or Xara Xtreme and draw a vector outline around the shape and slice it out of its background. Saving or exporting by either method has to be done by selecting either a .gif or a .png file with the option of using alpha transparency, whereby you can select a colour to become transparent.
    The result will still be a bitmap, and it will still be rectangular, but the removal of the white, for example, will mean its background will look transparent against a background of a different colour.
    In my example below (click thumbnail to enlarge) I have used Paintshop Pro, but the same method is used in Photoshop. The vector method, using Xara Xtreme is fine for shapes that don't involve complicated parts like hair or fur.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transparency.png 
Views:	2306 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	64759  
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 13 August 2009 at 02:02 PM. Reason: typo
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Bob I am not sure what Rexoids is actually asking..

Rexoids - once you load a jpg into an editor such as InDesign or Photoshop, then yes you can edit out the background because whilst it is held in the editor program although it is named as a jpg type, it is not the actual jpg you are ediiting. You are editing a working image in memory.

You can then save/export that image in a file format that supports transparency, such as png - but if you save it as jpg you will loose the transparency, because a jpg file does not support it [cannot do it]
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Very well explained in just a few words. Top marks Steve.
    IP

I try....

thanks
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

It's 100% Working,
    It's Really Helpful.
    Thanks for your Posting.
    IP

In this Forum (as was the case in the Adobe Tutorial I visited before it) everyone seems to be responding to a question NOT ASKED. Everyone (trying to be helpful) gives instructions on how to do this process in Photoshop... when the original author [and I] would like to know how to do it in ILLUSTRATOR :-). If anyone can help with a simple step 1, step 2, step 3, that would be greatly appreciated.
    IP

Using Illustrator's drawing tools, create a vector mask and mask the image.

Or if you need to drop out a single color or variations of that color, use the Mehdi Eraser Genuine filter. You can download it for free.

And JPEG images do not support transparency. So even if you drop out part of the image, the transparency cannot be saved in a JPEG image.

You can create a TIFF or PNG with Alpha channel transparency of your edited image.
    IP