Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: How long have you been using Xara products?

Voters
466. This poll is closed
  • Less than a year

68 14.59%
  • 1-5 years

120 25.75%
  • 5-10 years

115 24.68%
  • More than 10 years

163 34.98%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Jim Wyllie Guest

Smile Re: How long have you been using Xara products?

Ever since the very first copy of ArtWorks - away back then.
    Still use it everyday of my working life.

ArtWorks (and Impression) on my RiscPC, XaraX and now Xtreme.

Why? Because they are all great programs, do what I want when I want it and, most importantly, don't crash.

I have used XaraX in school since it came out, with all my classes - senior and junior, and it has NEVER crashed!!!!

For a PC that must be a record - well done everyone involved.
    IP

Default Re: How long have you been using Xara products?

Late last year I started using WebStyle when a fellow webmaster told me that's how he did some of the nice things I liked in his web site. Not long after that I got Zara MenuMaker. Then Xara sent me an offer for Xtreme and I bought it. I love it.
    Charlie
    IP

Unregistered Guest

yo he usado Xara por 3 años, es un magnifico programa de diseño, y puedes lograr efectos que dificilmente logras con otros programos, excelente para dibujos de vectores y magnificos efectos de ilumunacion. Puedo usar otros programas pero definitivamente Xara esta entre mis mejores herramientas de trabajo.
    IP

I have been using Xara/Computer Concepts products since about day 2 of programs becoming available.
    I started with Wordwise for the Beeb, serial number 35 or thereabouts and continued with that until I stared using Impression on the Archimedes.
    Had/still got(!) a copy of the ill fated Beebcalc.
    Several other CC programs.
    Impression plus several updates for the Archimedes/Risc machines.
    Artworks, Corel Xara but not Xara Studio and then all the versions up to the present plus the 3D packages.
    I am now 100% PC orientated but did not drop allegiance to Acorn until about 6 or 7 years ago. In fact I still have an Acorn RiscPC600 wired up and on the desk in front of me!
    As you may appreciate I am a long time fan of Xara.
    IP

I voted between 5 to 10 years for the following: the first xara is registered 18 May 2001 which is slightly over 5 years but more important, I remember downloading a trial version of Xara 3d about 10 or 11 years ago, maybe even longer. I didn't buy it but I still got my fingers dirty on it so I guess that counts.

Now I have all three version of Xara installed and running, two on one old computer and two on a second even older computer, plus xara 3d6, so I guess I'm helping to support the company in my own little way....frank
    .............frank
    IP

It must be all of twenty five years when I was introduced to Wordwise on the Econet networked BBC B's in the college that I worked in, whow I must be ancient now!!

I remember purchasing the tome that Paul Beverley wrote for users of Wordwise and Wordwise Plus.

When !Artworks arrived, yes it did have a pling(!) in front of the name as all programs did that run under Risc OS, it transformed the creation of graphics on any computer especially the Risc PC. Out of Artworks on Risc OS grew Xara on the PC and I was greatful for that.

I remember Xara arriving and then it seemed to be swallowed and buried by Corel only to be reserected as Xara X, then X1 and currently Xtreme.

My trusty Risc PC still sits under my computer table and if needs be will switch on and perk into life as if it was only switched on yesterday.

I raise my glass to Charles and your team at Gaddesden Place, who have always been helpful, I remember a tech support guy who was always a bit curt' however that was always balance out by John's attitude.

Here is to the next twenty five years.
    IP

Nita Guest

I used Artworks and Impression on RISCOS all those years ago, before finally converting to Windows, but am about to jump ship to a Mac so great to hear that Xara will be there soon.
    All the best x
    IP

I started off with Artworks on my Acorn computer when it first came out, so a long time ago if you count that as being the parent program.
    IP

I bought Artworks for my RiscPC when it first came out, up to then I had been using a program called Vector.

When I started using PCs at work (for a long time I used an Acorn A4 laptop, which I still have) I wanted to use Xara for diagramming my networks at work, but policy was to use Visio, which I found excruciatingly slow for anything more than very simple drawings, so I bought a personal copy of CorelXara, demonstrated to my boss how it was lightyears faster, and after that, Bob's your uncle as they say. (Wow, that's all one sentence!)

I have been using Xara at work and home ever since.

Xara3D I bought purely for home entertainment when Xara3D 5 came out, and I have been hooked on it ever since.

Mike
    IP

Most of the replies posted here mirrors my useage of Xara type products. It really started when I bought Acorn and got the school that I was working in to do the same. With the intro of Impressions we found our school leading other schools in Scotland in many area of cirricular development. Using this programme along with Art Works opened many doors for me in my job developement and in Technical Education many small publications and drawings that I did are still used today. I was even asked to do produce examination papers for two subjects for about four years but this always lead to problems which still in small case happens today when the work goes to the printers. Those days most printers used Mac's and transfering work from Acorns to Mac's had problems.

To be positive in the early to mid nineties it was I was producing work in Impressions that no PC could could do, but like everybody else, and before Acorn went bust, I had to transfer to the PC and use Corel Draw and Publisher. I did not like using CD so when Xara came out I quickly bought a whole school licence. Since my work was excepted I retired from teaching to do work for many schools in scotland teaching and lecturing to teachers on how to do graphics and as many of these schools used diffeerent programmes I had to learn how to use Illy which honestly to me two years to master. This learning curve was the opposite of Xara which was so easy to pick up.
    To round off I am extremely happy to use Xara X1 and Xtreme but would like to see it much friendlier with printers.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP