Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Scissors tool

Default Scissors tool

A request for a scissors and knife tool for Xara Exterme, as a Freehand user I miss the tools. I used the slider and adjust points tool in Xara but the knife tool is faster, like an old xacto knife right where I wanted it on the drawing table. Xara is an excellent drawing program so far.

Default Re: Scissors tool

Quote Originally Posted by posterart
    A request for a scissors and knife tool for Xara Exterme, as a Freehand user I miss the tools. I used the slider and adjust points tool in Xara but the knife tool is faster, like an old xacto knife right where I wanted it on the drawing table. Xara is an excellent drawing program so far.
    I know it's not quite as convenient, but I just draw a freehand line and use "slice shapes" from the arrange menu for this.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by posterart
    If you need to adjust many of the lines you draw - perhaps you should look in to a a different way of drawing (different work-flow)? "Scissor-like" tools are neat but they most certainly aren't "exacto knives" - they are more like "stab-in-the-dark-approximation-knives".

(1) In Xara, after you get your line drawn - hit F4 (Curve Tool) - Click to add a node - 'right-click' and chose "break shapes" - select the excess line segment and hit delete to get rid of the "waste". --- (1) Takes longer to read than to actually do...

(2) If you want "smoothing to apply" after the "break shapes" is done - use "Tab key" to get to the point, and hit delete.

(3) Fastest way - get it done by drawing it right... If you are sketching - simply undo, and draw it again... It really is faster than doing and redoing an "around there" cut tool. If you need scissors after using anything but the "Freehand" tool - practice using the right tool for the job.

Point being - there are many ways to get to an end result... If you posts an example of how you are working - people might be able to help you get there faster.
    Last edited by RTK; 22 July 2006 at 05:01 AM.

If you're working with the freehand tool, you can re-draw from one node to another. Hover the mouse over the point and you'll see a tiny curvy line (~). Draw to another node and you've re-drawn that line segment.

With the shape editor, you could draw a line, which is your "cutting line". Next use the boolean operators (slice) to cut a shape along this line.