Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Layer Question

Default Layer Question

Is there a way to copy an image whose parts reside on several layers and then paste them into another document and maintain the layer structure?

I've constructed a (for me) fairly complex image using several layers to separate the different parts of the image. The composited image will be used in several different documents. I'd like to import this image into a work in progress document and maintain the layer structure.

So far the only method I've been able to find is manually recreating all of the layers in the new document, and then doing copy, paste in place one by one for each layer.

Hoping there's some clever shortcut that might get the job done faster.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Default Re: Layer Question

A possible solution:
    1. Save the complex drawing as Xara Xtreme file (*.xar).
    2. Create a new drawing and import the complex drawing ("File" -> "Import").

Regards,
    Remi

I've tried that but it doesn't seem to work. Though all of the layers are imported, all of the shapes and so on are all placed on the top layer instead of on the layers they began with.

I tried this first (before asking) using the Linux version of XaraLX, but the import didn't work at all. From the error message there, it's possible that Xara only allows importing Xara files that were made with previous versions of Xara. That's what the box the linux version gave, at any rate.

Odat,

I don't think there is a simple method to do this. The only other method I could suggest is to create your complex layered drawing and Save.

Now do a SaveAs Document1, SaveAs Document2 etc and create the variations above your original complex layers.

EDIT: I've just tried Remi's method & it works fine, maintaining the layers structure perfectly and renaming layers if there's a clash of layer names.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 19 July 2006 at 07:05 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Odat
    I've tried that but it doesn't seem to work. Though all of the layers are imported, all of the shapes and so on are all placed on the top layer instead of on the layers they began with.

I tried this first (before asking) using the Linux version of XaraLX, but the import didn't work at all. From the error message there, it's possible that Xara only allows importing Xara files that were made with previous versions of Xara. That's what the box the linux version gave, at any rate.
    If there is a file produced using Xara Xtreme that won't load into LX, we (Xara LX team) would like to know about it. We are aware that some files will give you warnings (I think this is printer's marks not loading) but they should still load. Please just post it on http://bugzilla.xara.com/

If there is a file produced using Xara LX which won't load into Xtreme, or won't reload into LX, we'd also like to know about it. Again please just post it on http://bugzilla.xara.com/

Same goes for Import (as opposed to Load).

Alex

This seems to work...

Save the file into a Xara clipart folder and update the index for that folder.

Then drag it into the new page.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

I prefer, to copy the complex drawing as a whole group:
    1. Save your last changes in your complex drawing (CTRL+S).
    2. Go to the Layer Gallery and choose the icon "Edit all layers" on the head of the Layer gallery.
    3. Select all objects (CTRL+A).
    4. Caution! The next step moves all objects on only one layer, so please don't save your complex drawing after the next step!
    5. Group all objects (CTRL+G).
    6. Copy the group into the clipboard (CTRL+C).
    7. Open your drawings and copy the Group from the clipboard in your drawing (CTRL+V).
    8. Close your complex drawing without saving!

Repeat these steps, whenever you change something in your complex drawing.

Regards,
    Remi

Try the IMPORT method described above; HOWEVER, make sure you go to your OPTION SETTINGS (see attachement) and pick the appropriate layer alternative.

A further explanation is available in the Help file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Settings.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	27889  

Ok, I see where I've gone wrong here. Using Windows XaraX, the file does indeed import on multiple layers. It would appear that at some point I grouped all of the parts of the image together. I wasn't aware that grouping things automatically brings all objects to the topmost layer.

However, this still doesn't work under Linux XaraLX, because it can't import the document. The import filter in XaraLX is labelled "CorelXara Pre 1.5", and during import it fails saying that there was an error detected in the EPS at some random line in the file. I think that in the linux version, the .xar importer only handles old version files and not current ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Odat
    Ok, I see where I've gone wrong here. Using Windows XaraX, the file does indeed import on multiple layers. It would appear that at some point I grouped all of the parts of the image together. I wasn't aware that grouping things automatically brings all objects to the topmost layer.

However, this still doesn't work under Linux XaraLX, because it can't import the document. The import filter in XaraLX is labelled "CorelXara Pre 1.5", and during import it fails saying that there was an error detected in the EPS at some random line in the file. I think that in the linux version, the .xar importer only handles old version files and not current ones.
    Do not import your (modern) Xara file with that import filter. CorelXara Pre 1.5 files are over 10 years old.

What you want is the native .xar importer. Which, um, isn't there. I shall bugzilla that.

Alex