Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Unicode values in Xtreme

OK. I am doing a map in Xara. I am typing away merrily and I want to insert a special character that may or may not be in the font that I'm currently using.

Question 1. How can I see what characters are in the font that I'm using?
    Question 2. How can I get their unicode values so I can insert them?

I know that I can go out of Xara and check with another program and get a list of the characters in the font and then mess around and get the appropriate unicode number(s) and then jot them down on a scrap of paper and then go back into Xara and then insert them, and if I change fonts go through it all again. Along the way I've probably messed up the unicode values etc etc. It is all very time consuming and error prone.

But there must be an easier way within Xara. Any help gratefully received.

regards, Erik

Default Re: Unicode values in Xtreme

I always have trouble remembering this. I've created a xar file that you can open and it gives the characters & code numbers. You can also Copy & Paste the characters.

The current font is Arial, but you can select the desired character and alter the font to see if it's available in that font.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 17 July 2006 at 02:08 AM.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks..I also have trouble remembering them this wil help reatly
    Thanks
    Jim

Egg, that would be even more useful if it included a wider range of codes. Some I use a lot, that aren't on your list are;

0145 opening single quote ‘
    0146 closing single quote ’
    0147 opening double quote “
    0148 closing double quote ”
    0149 Bullet •
    0150 n dash –
    0151 em dash —
    0153 trademark symbol ™

And there are probably more.

Life was simpler in days of making ASCII art and typing in codes supplied with almost every Windows program.

There's lots of other unicode symbols that are not displayed in programs like windows character map. I use Alan Wood's unicode site for the harder ones.
    Just select and copy the character and paste in Xara.
    Sometimes you just get a square box in Xara instead of your character. Then you need to change the font (default times new roman) to one that contains more characters, like Arial Unicode MS
    Typing the (hexa-)Decimal code in XaraX1 gives me the wrong character though, so just the copy & paste method works for me :\

Here are some of the ones I use (this is from Xara Xone TIPS 4). There is also a utility, Character Map Pro which you can download on the same page which lets you see all the characters in a selected font.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	codes.gif 
Views:	292 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	27851  

Your wish is my command. The updated version.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Cool stuff. It may be time to bring back my ascii dragon and turn it into unicode.

Slight update correcting a couple of errors in the previous post and now including a complete paragraph of the characters so you can alter the font En Block to see if and what characters are supported.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 18 July 2006 at 02:19 AM.
    Egg