Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bevel question

Default Bevel question

Maybe I'm being dumb, and overlooking something obvious, but how would you make exteraneous items become part of the bevel?

To give you more of an idea of what I am talking about, here is an example from another graphics program. My first thought was that in Xara I could make the five items a group, and apply the bevel to the group. That doesn't do the following at all.

Thanks,
    David

[Edit].xar file included two posts down, to play with.[/Edit]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BevelProblem.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	27723  
    Last edited by David O'Neil; 14 July 2006 at 04:56 AM.

Default Re: Bevel question

I don't quite understand your question, but here is my interpretation, you want the different colored triangle to have Bevel, don't group them marques them separately (each it's own object) then apply bevel, an inner bevel, this will result in the pie shapes each having it's own bevel along with the oval on upper left having a bevel. Is that what you wish.
    Then you can group as group and continue on.
    Jim

I want the bevel as the picture showed it: around all the objects, and including the purple object. Everything I tried in Xara resulted in each object having its *own* bevel, and the exteraneous object not being properly shaded *as part of the bevel*.

Here is a .xar file if you want to play with it. It includes a partial solution to the four color bevel, but I can't see how to include the last object as part of the bevel.

David
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi David

Try this.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Ah! Bitmap copy - I wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks!

(No way you know of to keep pure vectors? - Just curious.)

David

David,

I'm off to bed now so I can't go any deeper into it at present. As soon as you use a bevel it becomes a bitmap.

I'll give it some thought and get back to you if I can figure anything out.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Take a look at my .xar file in the 3rd post. I figured out how to create a bevel from scratch using 'ring' copies of the original grouped objects.

Outer ring -> Linear fill, white to black.

Inner ring -> Just a ring of the grouped objects. Created it by combining shape tricks...

Then apply 20 step blend between the two. Pretty slick, other than a slight gap between two of the 4 patches, causing some troubles that I think are fixable by eliminating the gap.

I cannot see how to incorporate the fifth 'exteraneous' object into the loop. I believe your method will be about the only one to do what I wanted, so thank you. I was just curious if you could figure out how to stay vectors. I don't believe it can be done, but I am still curious.

Thanks, and have a good night's sleep.

David

There may be a way to pull this off where things "kinda" remain vectors, using live effects. If you group all of your shapes together, and use a live effects plugin that can produce a bevel, the plugin should be applied to group as a whole.

Technically this is treated as a bitmap. However, with such a construct in place, it's possible via the selection tool to Control-Click to select an object "Inside" the group. You can then use regular editing tools to modify parts of the shape. Once you make your change, the live effect is automatically re-applied.

I don't have any filters that can produce a bevel, but I did test the theory using some of the free and demo plugins that came on the Xtreme CD, and that seemed to work just fine.

Not as cool as Xara applying the bevels for you directly, but if you have to commit to having the elements as a bitmap, at least with a live effect it's easier to edit the underlying shapes.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Add a circle over the shapes with a black outline the width you want the bevel. Convert the line to a shape (should now have an empty circle). Fill this shape with a black to white fill depending on which side of the bevel you want shaded and which highlighted. Set circular transparency and switch centre and outer transparency, adjust transparency profile to suit.

Christine
    Attached Images Attached Images  

David,
    Here's my attempt. Take apart my drawing and see if that works for you.
    regards,
    ron

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil
    Maybe I'm being dumb, and overlooking something obvious, but how would you make exteraneous items become part of the bevel?

To give you more of an idea of what I am talking about, here is an example from another graphics program. My first thought was that in Xara I could make the five items a group, and apply the bevel to the group. That doesn't do the following at all.

Thanks,
    David

[Edit].xar file included two posts down, to play with.[/Edit]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beveledoval.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	27742   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beveledelipse.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	27744  

Last edited by Ron Duke; 14 July 2006 at 05:40 PM.