Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question export problem ai

Hi

I want to export the attached xar file as as an illustrator file for a printing company.

When I export is as a gifetc it's fine but as an ai file it goes pear shaped.

can someone tell me whereI'm going wrong

thanks

Ian
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: export problem ai

Im not sure what you mean ? You did a fine job on the logo though. Not sure what is happening when you export to ai. I was able to export it but I do not have illustrator to look at the file with.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Ah! I wonder if thats the problem I tested it by importing into xara not opening it in illustrator because like you I dont have it.

Mmmmmm

CALLING ANYONE NICE PERSON OUT THERE?

Ian

I didn't have any problem with it in other programs. I imported the 'ai file' into a 3D program and it took okay. The one with the circles rather than letters is the imported where the text was not converted to shapes. (3D doesn't read text very well in ai.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	logotest.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	27710  

Red face Re: export problem ai

Thanks

the logo was for a web site but then they wanted it on their stationary and the printer wanted it in ai format

cheers

Ian

I exported your design to AI and opened with CorelDraw and got a result you wouldn't want with the black sghape behind and bits missing or invisible. I exported it again but removed the feathering and transparency and got the top result.
    Derek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	27712  
    Last edited by masque; 13 July 2006 at 09:59 PM.

Unhappy Re: export problem ai

Hi

thanks for that

So it appears I have a problem, does this mean that I cannot use xara to create an ai file for printing? Or is there another way around the problem.

The original xara file is the company logo and they want it printed on everything

any ideas?

cheers

Ian

Hello Ian,

please study the following thread with tips to export from Xara Xtreme to Adobe Illustrator (PDF is the format of your choice). But this thread is much more interesting, if you would like to print something, because there are some important details about RGB/CMYK colours discussed in this thread.

Regards,
    Remi
    Last edited by remi; 13 July 2006 at 11:02 PM.

Red face Re: export problem ai

Thanks for that, I'm going away for the weekend but will give it my attention on Monday

cheers

ian

Hi Ian,
    I know you want see this untill Monday but there are a few things you should know about transparencies, printers hate them as they are very unpredictable. If your logo is going to proper printers (using CMYK) then you will need to read Gary's Tut as Remi suggested. On the other hand if it is only going to be printed on a large laser carry on using your transparencies as they dont matter as much as they are just "ripped" by the software that runs the laser.

I had 10 minutes spare time and I converted your drawing into an RGB AI file but Illustrator does not use the same type of feathering or transparencies as Xtreme so the drawing is slightly different. The main text had to be put "to the front" due to the transparencies even though you maybe just using a printer with a large laser. In my day time job I have to work using AI but at home I use Xara and if at times I have to take work home and then bring it back the next day any work that I do must have no bitmap effects, trans or feathering but it is so much easier to do the construction work in Xara and then import it into AI.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Design is thinking made visual.