Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Saving rollover buttons

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can tell me how I save the rollover buttons that I create in Coreldraw 12 for importing into Front Page 2003. When I click the export button at the conclusion of design, it saves the whole page rather than the individual button.
    IP

Default Re: Saving rollover buttons

.Jpegs will do that. However, .gifs depends upon your selection.

If you want your output to be a specific size for a .jpeg, best to make your page size that size too. Or you can crop it in PhotoPaint.

Image slicing should work differently, however, are you image slicing?
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Hi Sally,
    Thanks for the response. First of all a little background might be in order. I have been using Coreldraw since V3, but only in it's most basic form. I used it to design "flat" graphics and typesetting for offset litho printing, and had no requirement to use the more advanced features. I hardly ever used Photopaint.

Now that I am involved in web stuff, I am back on the learning curve at a fairly low point, especially with Photopaint.

To answer your question, no, I am not image slicing. I would prefer to work in Coreldraw as I haven't mastered the drawing side of Photopaint yet. If I use Coreldraw at a specific page size and export as a .jpeg, will the background be transparent? I did read somewhere that image slicing can take care of transparency, is this correct? I have been using .gif for that purpose.

I am a firm believer in forums, and this one really is first class.

Thanks again.

Fred
    IP

.Jpeg is not capable of transparency, only .gif and for all but Internet Explorer, .png has transparency. The next update of IE is supposed to support .png transparency.

Jpeg 2000 supports transparency, however, without browsers that are supporting it, what is the reason to use it. It is interesting, that is all.

Image slicing lets you take advantage of two type of files being reassembled in a web page. Gif images are better at saving crisp line images and are preferred for type and cartoon graphics, logos, etc. And they support transparency of one color.

Generally to gain transparency means increasing file sizes, so if you know what color your background is going to be, making the background of the item you are placing on top has apparent transparency. This apparent transparency was used in another method for print for years because of the then limitations of postscript.

The postscript language was modified with Adobe wanted Illustrator's new found transparency to be able to print postscript. DRAW has it for how long?

DRAW is not my favorite for Web Graphics, a great program which is opimized for making web graphics is PhotoImapct. It isn't an expensive program.

DRAW's first dedication is toward print, but has accomodations for web. There are some web optimization tutorials available at Unleash.com.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Hi again Sallybode,

Thank you for your comments they are most welcome. When I signed up with 1&1 for web hosting, I got a software disk which included Ulead Photoimpact XL SE, which didn't seem too good. Is V11 a lot better? (I've already spent lots of money on software). I have also tried Namo's Web Canvas which is a nice program.

But none of the ones I have tried offer the same level of node control that Coreldraw offers. I gues I have been spoiled by Coreldraw over the years.

The workaround that I am using just now is to create the image in Coreldraw, save it to the clipboard and then paste it into Photopaint as an new object and then export to the web when the manipulations are done. Setting the page size to the same size as the graphic seems to work OK.

It's not the best I would agree, but it does get me going. I still don't know how to bring my rollovers into Front Page though. But that's a question for the Front Page Forum.

Sally, I do like a "clean" machine, and hate clogging it up with loads of software that might only be used occasionally, that's why I try to standardise as much as possible on a minimum of programs.

Thanks again for your help.
    IP

You don't need to copy and paste, you can convert to bitmap inside of DRAW and right click to edit in PhotoPaint, if using 12, you can double click and get PhotoPaint.

Actually PhotoImpact is a pretty powerful program, it is capable of doing loads of things, it is just understanding how it works.

What is good with PhotoImpact is its optimization for web graphics.

A good site for codes for roll overs is dynamicdrive.com. They have pages and pages of toolbars, effects and all of them interface with anything from straight HTML to FrontPage or Dreamweaver.

Knowing how to read HTML code is a good basis as a place to start there. Lots of directions as to how to implement code and also a talk forum.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Hi Sallybode,

Thanks for the last reply. Sorry I was so long in answering but I've had one or two problems (not computer related).

Anyway, Have been writing in html and have a couple of sites published to the web. I was looking at web editors basically to save time and to do some of the more advanced stuff for me (one of my sites has an horrendous table of prices which need constant updating).

However, I have decided to go back to Notepad and writing in html. I have also started to learn how to write my own scripts in Javascript.

I am in the process of updating one of my sites with dynamic elements and find that by creating two button graphics in Coreldraw and exporting them as Normal and Rollover in .gif format, I can get exactly what I'm looking for.

Thank you for your help, and I look forward to learning Coreldraw more thoroughly, so you may well see a lot more of me in the future.

Fred Morton
    IP

I'm am glad to hear that it is working out for you. Congratulations on your hard work and putting you ingenuity to work for you.

Sally M. Bode
    IP