Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Vector

Question Vector

Hello All,

I am new here and new to Xara. I was wondering if it was possible to convert a image to Vector so I can have a sign made? Also, I would like to play with 3D. Anyone help me out there is Xara Land?

Default Re: Vector

Welcome to talkgraphics!

I would highly recommend visiting...

http://xara.com/products/xtreme/

...and watch the movies, get a feel for what the programs do.

Better yet, download the trial versions if you haven't already.

I started with Xara Xtreme a few months ago and it is by far the easiest, most powerful graphics program I have ever used. With something like eighty movies to watch, you might wonder why all programs aren't like this!

As far as converting images yes, and there are many easy ways to do that.

If you have questions, people that moderate this forum like Gary Priester will be happy to answer them. Gary Priester also has like 8 years of tutorials, tips and tricks on his website, xaraxone.com.

You're gonna love the way Xara works.

Unhappy Re: Vector

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmc
    Welcome to talkgraphics!

I would highly recommend visiting...

http://xara.com/products/xtreme/

...and watch the movies, get a feel for what the programs do.

Better yet, download the trial versions if you haven't already.

I started with Xara Xtreme a few months ago and it is by far the easiest, most powerful graphics program I have ever used. With something like eighty movies to watch, you might wonder why all programs aren't like this!

As far as converting images yes, and there are many easy ways to do that.

If you have questions, people that moderate this forum like Gary Priester will be happy to answer them. Gary Priester also has like 8 years of tutorials, tips and tricks on his website, xaraxone.com.

You're gonna love the way Xara works.
    I bought the program and I also took advantage of the deal they had on for Xara 3D. So far, I really like the program.

I checked out the site you requested and it is chalked full of info but, what I really want to do is pull apart graphics that I have done up into layers so that they can be turned into signes on a plotter and so they can be embrodered onto material. I suppose I will have to do as egg did to the cow? No real simple way?

Off to a good start I see! Welcome to the Xara club then!

The method Egg describes in his video is a bread 'n' butter of Xara Xtreme. It is so incredibly useful, can't believe what I ever did without it. Once you have your objects in Xara, they can be used in layers, which I highly recommend and that design can be saved to a template if you use it often.

The biggest advantage is once the item is traced and sliced out, you have all the power of Xtreme available.

I'm by no means any authority on embroidered works, but watched my sister enough and the painstaking effort that it takes. My guess is that on a fairly complicated pattern it would make design much easier especially when you establish a template for that design.

For example, a pattern of stars and flowers, with artful leaves and curls/swirls. These can be modified with bitmap fills from the gallery or by your own fills. You could decide that the edge of the design is too rough and needs softening. Vector feathering is a strong suit in Xara. If you need to get a more 3D effect, just cut and paste in to Xara3D6. It's a marvelous sister application to Xtreme.

You might want to layer a leaf on top or under a flower or another object, easy to do. Perhaps you want to cascade a waterfall of leaves through a rainbow of stars; this can all be done in Xtreme using blend, contour and other tools.

If you need to combine shapes, this is also easily done.

My suggestions is to start with Gary Priester's Xaraxone projects. Thumb through them. There are tutorials that are done by very talented artists and the techniques are just astounding and eye-opening.

Again, Welcome!

Smile Re: Vector

Quote Originally Posted by Keogge
    ... what I really want to do is pull apart graphics that I have done up into layers so that they can be turned into signes on a plotter and so they can be embrodered onto material. I suppose I will have to do as egg did to the cow? No real simple way?
    You can use the "Bitmap Tracer" (Menu "Utilities" -> "Bitmap Tracer...") to extract the shapes of some forms. Take a look at the tutorial how to work with the Bitmap Tracer. But I personally prefer to redraw the silhouettes with the Pen Tool (Shift+F5 - a horrible shortcut for my most preferred tool) or the Freehand Tool (F3).

However, there is no such thing as a free lunch...

Remi

Hi Keogge - you made a good move choosing Xara Xtreme.

I use it for all vinyl sign art and embroidery. Its a case of placing your original image as a background layer, and then in subsequent layers hand trace using the available tools. Xara is the quickest to have when drawing like this.

I don't have any reference to a tutorial handy but maybe another member will kindly post something shortly.

regards/ David
    http://www.vectorgraphic.co.uk

Thumbs up Re: Vector

Thank-you for your time, I will do as you say. What are you guys using to hand trace?

Take a look at the video tutorial from Egg about extracting part of a photograph which you can find here:-

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=21893

Dave

Egg's video is about to extract a photo with Xara Xtreme.

There are also some useful tutorials with tips how to vectorize a image by hand with Xara Xtreme tools:

Regards,
    Remi