Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hello, I am getting pretty close to my web site being completed. All the graphics on it are made using Xara. The majority of the site is in Flash.
    Please take a look and let me know what you think.
    Rocket Science

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-2/76617/MSYUIJJOGIOZED[LTWMJ-rstag3.gif

Hello, I am getting pretty close to my web site being completed. All the graphics on it are made using Xara. The majority of the site is in Flash.
    Please take a look and let me know what you think.
    Rocket Science

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-2/76617/MSYUIJJOGIOZED[LTWMJ-rstag3.gif

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

Nice Artwork there Rocket Science... Some of the links need work, buit it is turing out just fine. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

http://www.draginet.com/dragon.gif
    John/DOT
    John/DOT

Rocket Science,

I saw some of it - but I didn't have the patience to wait for things to load (My cable is slow today - and people's patience get shorter, the faster their connection gets...)

I'm sure someone with more patience than me can give you additional feedback.

But in general:

You should consider adding a non flash path to your content - I'm telling you will leave a lot of people out on the street. People in general will not sit and wait for content that they don't know what it is - to load. Progress meters and the ability to skip unecessary intros... helps. The lack of progress meter for your photo gallery - how would they know that something is coming? They might think the moving intro./description is the actual content, and go back.

The galleries are very slow... are you sure you have optimized the images?

There is also nothing on the site (I didn't see all of it) that Google and other search engines can index - as it looks right now you will get zero traffic from search engines.

It shouldn't be too much work to create a couple of galleries in plain old boring html for those are in a rush? And for those who don't use flash (there are quite a few of them you know... You don't want their business? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif)

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

[This message was edited by Risto Klint on March 07, 2004 at 9:32.]

You want my opinion? Are you sure? Look, I don't want to sound nasty - I'm sure you're a very nice person and a talented designer but... well, here goes...

1. All the above-mentioned points regarding Flash and download time.

2. Some of the text is all but illegible, due to the use of gimmicky typefaces.

3. The text appears and disappears too quickly to read anyway. And the flashing bits give me a headache.

4. Nice "weathered" or "distressed" effect on the main menu, but shouldn't important text such as that on navigation buttons be at very least the right way up?

5. And while you're at it, text is most legible when placed on a plain, high-contrast background. I pity anyone with less than perfect eyesight who tries to get anywhere here.

6. You're an English-speaking American. Speak English. "Grafica" and "Foto-Grafica" sound either pretentious or illiterate. Oh, and there's no apostrophe in the word "logos" (it's plural, not possessive, see?).

7. To summarise, why not make a simple, easy-to-use HTML site with a link to a Flash Gallery that allows you to indulge your baroque fantasies without putting off the "simple is best" clients who will put bread on your table.

Once again, sorry, but that's how I see it. And if you feel like commenting on my own site, here it is:
    www.alphabeck.co.uk
    Simon Beck
    London, UK
    "Communication is everything"

Here's my honest opinion,

I think you have too much stuff on your site. I think you need to pare it down to just your best work. I wouldn't put your fliers in because, how much can flyer design actually pay?

Personally, I don't like flash unless it's extremely well done or adds significantly to the experience of the site. I kept wishing for a skip intro button in spite of how short your animation is.

Your links are hard to read.

And I like your design and treatment of your own site better than anything you've done for any of your clients.

Being an illustrator myself, I looked for your illustration section, but didn't find it. I only saw some photos and that you used a Jack Vetriano image for an anniversary card. Did you pay him for that? If not, I would take it down. If you haven't purchased usage, you don't have the right to display it regardless of how you used it.

And your navigation is a pain and unclear. Once I've seen your flash animation, I don't want to see it again.

With your logos, again, too many slight variations of the same idea. Pick the best one and be done with it. Honestly in your second set of Kick logos, I see no significant difference between them other than the balls are in different positions.

Some of the logos are plain dull and it doesn't help to have them all on the same page. Display your work with some attention to showcasing it as your best quality. You don't want your logo presentation to look as if someone opened a drawer of random postcards.

I think you promote yourself as doing too many things. I think you should pick what you LIKE to do and stick with that. Seeing as you really don't have illustrations, I would remove that as a service.

If you're going with the name Rocket Science, you should show either rockets or the science of design and why you should be chosen for any particular given contract. Calling yourself a rocket scientist does not make you one.

Also, what is your name? There is nothing about you on the site. I need to see someones name before I trust them with money or an assignment.

I'm not trying to be harsh, I'm trying to be constructive. Don't take criticizm personally.

Good Luck,

Sheff
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site