Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Simple Timesavers

Here's a couple of simple observations that everybody probably knows about already, but here goes anyway...

When working with mutiple xar files for a single project, say a multi-page document, if you load them all in reverse order i.e. last to first, then when you Ctrl+Tab through the pages they will be in chronological order.

On a related note. In the XP file save/load dialog box that most programs use, you can create a new folder, which is very handy. But, did you know that you can carry out all the standard file manipulations i.e delete, rename, move, cut, copy etc. through the right-click context menu. I only mention this as I have not seen this referred to anywhere and wondered if everyone knew about it. I use this function all the time to move files or resolve file name conflicts and so on before saving or loading a file.
    -- Bob

Default Re: Simple Timesavers

On a related note. In the XP file save/load dialog box that most programs use, you can create a new folder, which is very handy. But, did you know that you can carry out all the standard file manipulations i.e delete, rename, move, cut, copy etc. through the right-click context menu.
    Yep it's a great time saver. And one of the few areas that Windows is still better than the Mac (despite what Mac users claim - the Mac Finder is seriously primitive).

What's more you can drag and drop from the save / load dialog as well. I use this all the time. Say you saved your file to some obscure path, and you now want to drag the just saved file somewhere else, say to your email. Instead of navigating using the File Explorer to find it, just do a Save As, (or open or whatever) and just drag the file you just saved (or loaded) right out of the save dialog onto your email client.

Now all we need is a RiscOS like ability to save files by dragging (some Linux have this) and we'd have everything we need.

Charles, the one thing I wish you could do in Xara dialogs is Shift-Select or Ctrl-Select fileanames.

For some operations it would not make sense, but for others like deleting file names or importing files (especially png, jpg, tiff, etc.) it would.

Regards, John

Quote Originally Posted by jclements
    Charles, the one thing I wish you could do in Xara dialogs is Shift-Select or Ctrl-Select fileanames.

For some operations it would not make sense, but for others like deleting file names or importing files (especially png, jpg, tiff, etc.) it would.

Regards, John

Yes, that would be fine - importing multiple files within the import dialog

Remi

I've wanted that too... the ability to select a number of files to import... my way around that for now is to select them in Windows Explorer and drag/drop... it works that way.