Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: CMYK support in Xtreme - yes or no ? - *confused*

When you open a document in Illustrator, you get a requestor asking what color space (RBG or CMYK) you want to work in. So Illustrator converts the document to the preferred color space. If your work will be for the web or for viewing on screen, for example, a Power Point presentation, select RGB. If you intend to send your work to a commercial printing company to print in CMYK then select CMYK.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cmyk-rgb.png 
Views:	385 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	27414  

Thanks Gary but i already knew that

My question was - is Xtreme able to export to .ai fully in CMYK so that mentioned popup will *NOT* popup ?

Like, yes or no ?

Again, the confusion results from different answers or posts on different threads about the issue if Xtreme fully supports CMYK or not.

EDIT:

I think i get it now, especially after rereading Gary's post #9.

So here it goes the way i understand it:

- What Xtreme can do:

Edit/create/export single objects in/to CMYK, including editing/creating/exporting ALL objects within a .xar but each object still has to be created or edited *individually* in CMYK although within the same .xar document

- What Xtreme can *not* do:

Edit/Export a (.xar) document as a whole in/to CMYK without editing the single objects individually first *except* the TIFF export option.

Right.....?
    Last edited by beatz01; 04 July 2006 at 12:45 AM.

Basically when you import into Illustrator and you get that requestor asking what color space you wish to edit it, then Illustrator converts your colors to that color space.

IF you are matching specific colors, e.g. you have a TruMatch or Pantone Process Color swatch book, and you want to specify colors from these to ensure they print as shown in the swatch book, then specify the exact CMYK percentages.

Just my grumpy old opinion but I think you are over thinking this.

Gary

Thanks Gary;

my question is not at all about what to do when Illustrator pops up a window; what i'm (was) interested in is if it's possible to create artwork in Xtreme that's 100% CMYK and export it *for instance* to Illustrator so that *for instance* Illustrator accepts it as CMYK (as in "popup not popping up").

But as said after reading your response #9 i believe that to be the case.

Actually i thought it would have been the most simple question on the planet.

Like "Can Xtreme create and export 100% CMYK yes or no ?"

Anyway, thanks again for your help

Yes she can!

*create my CMYK template like your default template
    *in options (utilities/options) give for default working space - CMYK
    *in options/units tab give for color units - percentages
    save this options like default options - options/general tab - save settings buton
    always work with "show printer colors" - switched ON!!! this give you some ~real preview of colors

if you plain to work only vector stuff for exporting outside of Xtreme work without shadows, bevels and transparencies
    also after export (except CMYK TIF export, and print to PS) overprints are not included - ie EPS, CMX 5/6, AI

when you use colors from CMYK palete - down in CMYK template all your colors are exported exactly same

after creating your design, convert all texts to shapes, select all and export it like Xara X EPS

open in illustrator and see - no question for converting colors
    get eye droper in Ill and mesure if you dont believe

P.S. Now you must treat me with one icy cold TUBORG beer

P.S.2. If you plain to work more complicated design with use of bitmaps, transparencies and etc. you must first separate your work in layers... one for this that will stay vector, and one for shapes with transparencies, bevels etc
    then you must export layer for bitmap with print preview turned on to RGB tiff (and then convert to CMYK in Photoshop for example), or direct to export like CMYK TIFF (then no need converting to CMYK in Photoshop).
    Sometimes, if you use some more specific transperencies like bleach for example, and then export to CMYK tif - the result is bad, in cases like this just export to RGB TIFF (again with print preview turned ON) and convert to CMYK outside
    all other stuf ( vector layer) you must convert to shapes and then export like EPS for example... and then you can joint bitmap with vector where you wan or can

P.S.3. The Tuborgs grow two :P

P.S.4. When you open exported from Xtreme ai, Illustrator ask you in what colors you prefer to work, not becouse your CMYK colors for objects are redefined in RGB in export, just when you export your work in your file also are exported all colors from color line, there you have not just my redefined CMYK colors and also you have and RGB colors added by program! that is

P.S.4. Gary, please get this my reply and create new important theme "how to work in CMYK with X1/Xtreme, and lock it.
    Please, im tired to explain it everytime when some new user come and ask

best regards
    minimiro
    Last edited by minimiro; 10 February 2009 at 10:49 PM.
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

Thumbs up Re: CMYK support in Xtreme - yes or no ? - *confused*

mm

I'll use this to create a detailed how to in the next Workbook.

Gary

Gary
    "I also exported a PDF file with the same CMYK colors and opened the file in Illustrator CS 2 and sampled each of the colors. The CMYK percentages where bang on again. "

Maybe CS2 does a better job, my CS1 did not even get close at getting the colors right"

Also did you just export from xara as pdf?

Attached now PDF is exported from extreme from previous attached color-test.xar file

I am with Illustrator CS1, no problems with colors percentages or color system when open PDF

I think that your problem is something about definating of colors in Xtreme?!
    Last edited by minimiro; 10 February 2009 at 10:49 PM.

minimiro.com

minimiro Thank you for the file, so do i go to illustrator and place the image then use the eye dropper to get values?

also in xtreme do I import and do the same?

You can direct open PDF file in Illustrator, or place it, or import it in CorelDraw, or rasterize it in photoshop... whatever you want
    You can mesure colors with eyedroper in illustrator or just ungroup it and after selecting object you will see it color in color palette...

In Xtreme you can't import PDF
    You just can open color-test.xar file and mesure colors, this file is original from who is exported PDF file

The colors are exact the same!

minimiro.com