Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default poor image quality when cut and pasting

I use an image map for the kids side of www.lab6.co.uk

There is a large graphic divided into coloured squares with a gif cartoon cut and pasted on top of the squares. I then create a hotspot html link to that web page.

When I cut and paste the cartoons (transpaent background gifs) the colours become mottled / spotted instead of a smooth fill with one colour. Why?

This really messes up the big image as you can see on the squares already used. How do I cut and paste perfectly with PSP?
    IP

Default Re: poor image quality when cut and pasting

I suggest you check out the article in the PSP help files on "Preparing images for the Web" this may give you some clues as to what is happening.

......Norman
    IP

This is primarily because most web browsers do not support layers. I would keep your image map as a template, but prepare the placement of the GIF files in PSP.

You will need to flatten the image before you export. The GIF dialog save box should do that for you automatically though. If not, go to Layers>Merge and choose Merge All (Flatten.)

Thank you for educating children.
    IP

The answer from FrontPagetalk.com is that both images must be in 16 million colours!. Increase the colours to 24 bit before cutting then it works!
    IP

GIF's can have 16 million colors?
    IP

gif can be 16 mil color while working with them in psp. After saving they will 256 color.

I prefer to use crop to get the cut i want then resize/or canvas size to get the final size I want to use.
    I can then fix how the image is to look before final save.

I use IE and it works with layers just fine. All my pages are made using Dreamweave 8.

Good luck
    IP