Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Bitmaps in Xtreme - file sizes

Can someone explain how if I paste a 33Mb tiff into Xtreme and save it... it makes a xar of 1.7Mb. If I copy the tiff from Xtreme and paste it into PSP and export as a tiff, it makes a .... yes .... 33Mb file.

Do I lose anything?!!! Looking closely at the images (a scan of a B&W document), the quality looks very close.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Default Re: Bitmaps in Xtreme - file sizes

As I remember, XAR is a compressed format. They get decompressed when opened.

Rich

.Xar files are compressed, but then usually TIFF files are as well. Ah, hang on you can't directly paste TIFF files into Xara Xtreme, you can only paste 'normal' bitmaps. So while you might be copying it from a program that says it's a TIFF what you're pasting into Xara is an un-compressed 'raw' bitmap (The windows copy / paste system converts images to standard BMP and DIB format).

So yes a raw un-compressed bitmap of 33Mbytes might well compress to 1.7Mbytes if it has a lot of flat colour or white space in it.

While you can't directly copy / paste a TIFF file you can drag and drop a TIFF file onto Xara, and then the file sizes of the two files (the .Xar and the .TIF) should be similar (unless it's an un-compressed TIFF perhaps).

btw: If I copy/paste some shapes (vector, not images) from one Xara Xtreme window to another Xara Xtreme window, are they also converted (to WMF/EPS or whatever)?

Remi