Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: drawing by hand

Unhappy drawing by hand

Well, I am trying to improve my drawing by hand and I did not realize how much i used Xara for simple thing. I do not have some of the basic discipline that traditional cartoonist have. Example, just drawing a circle. I tried it and well I had to draw it in Xara, print it and then trace it to get it right. okay I did not do that, but my hand drawing of a circle or a straight line for that matter was not as straight as I thought it should be. Also something like drawing eyes. In Xara it is easy, draw on and copy,paste and flip. by hand one eye is huge, the other is tiny. my characters are kinda freaky. which would be great if that is what I wanted. So what is all this about? Nothing i guess, except new and budding cartoonist(this so includes me), please don't stop sketching by hand.

Matt
    All my talent comes from Him above.
    IP

Default Re: drawing by hand

You should try following the Gnomon Workshop drawing tutorials, eventhough you are probably an experienced artist there are quite a few handy techniques.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/

Availor
    IP

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Matt -- You are experiencing a classic problem. Your hand will not do exactly what your mind thinks it should be able to do. Some people find it easier than others and they are mistakenly labelled as "talented". The truth is almost everyone can learn to draw. Through practice you will find that relatively quickly your hand & mind will merge so your hand becomes a more useful instrument of your mind.

The traditional technique for learning to draw is to draw, draw, draw. Carry a notebook and draw/doodle/sketch every chance you get. Do that and in just a couple of weeks you'll see dramatic improvements. Once you get over that first hurdle you'll find it far easier to look at other's drawings and really understand what you need to do to learn certain skills you like in that person's style. Then you just practice more.

Beware of the 'talent' trap. Many people won't draw because they think someone might see their drawing and think it crap. Our culture totally makes people paranoid about looking 'untalented' in anything. People think you either have it or you don't but it is a myth. The reality is basic drawing is a skill that you can teach yourself easily.

By the way I've found drawing to be very much like riding a bike - you don't forget how. I draw relatively infrequently now but twenty+ years ago I drew all the time (several hours per day / seven days a week). The thing is I find I can draw as well today as I ever could.

Go for it! Draw, draw, draw!

Regards, Ross
    IP

Talking Re: drawing by hand

Availor, I checked out the link. There is a lot of information there to absorb. thanks you very much. I know I am going to enjoy it.

Ross,
    Thank you, what you say is very true. I was have a very frustrated moment when I wrote the thread. This weekend I went and bought a bunch of doodle pads from big lots to stash all around my house, car and one to carry with me. You are right about stopping because on the so call "No talent". I believe that is where I had a problem several years ago. So i will be drawing, drawing, and well drawing.

Thanks again guys, I look forward to what I will be learning.
    IP

Matt: A tip. Try drawing circles from your shoulder, not your wrist. Keep your wrist motionless and make the mark on the paper using the muscles of your upper arm. You get better control.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by b3rntumb3r
    Matt: A tip. Try drawing circles from your shoulder, not your wrist. Keep your wrist motionless and make the mark on the paper using the muscles of your upper arm. You get better control.
    b3rtntumber,
    I tried that and , wow what a difference. Can this work also for detail work to?
    IP

Try to listen to some music, too. A relaxed mind is a good thing to have while doodling. Don't worry about getting things "perfect". Strive to get the image in your head on the paper, that's the important part.
    IP

It should work for a lot of things and enable you to draw straighter lines easier. Very fine detail is probably best accomplished working from the wrist. Think of the way your wrist moves: you have complete control of only about a 55-60 degree arc. That's why it's harder to draw a circle from the wrist. Your shoulder has better 180 degree control.

Glad I could help.
    IP

Er, excuse me, I'm a little flakey today. Your shoulder has better 360 degree control. Your writst controls a 90 -100 degree arc.
    IP

Another tip is to sketch out your drawing first. Don’t let your first lines on your page be your final drawing.

With my attached image, I drew two circles – both freehand. The first was drawn with a quick single continuous line. The second was drawn with shorter strokes and rotating the paper. For the second, pretty much using the same wrist motion in the same location. Just rotating the page to complete the circle.

The sketched circle turned out better.

Sketch lightly, so it’s easier to erase and make adjustments. As things are looking good, darken the good lines a bit that will be part of your final drawing. Sketch out your whole drawing, then ink it in later. Or just leave it all done in pencil.

For budding cartoonists, don’t try and go from blank page to finished drawing with your first set of lines you put down on paper. Sketch it out first. Start out with rough shapes until you see what you want, then start adding more detail/form to them. And don’t worry too much on how it turns out if you’re not totally pleased with it, because your next drawing is always going to be done better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	circle drawing.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	26391  
    •Bob
    IP