Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I am wondering if Xara X is Windows 2000 compliant ? And I don't mean that Xara X just installs and "runs" on Win2K, but that it was designed and optimized to work with Win2K.

Has Xara explicitly said anything about Win2K compatibility ?

What about the older Xara 1.5 and CorelXara 2 ? Has anyone tried to put them through a real world test on Win2K and how did they perform ?

I am wondering if Xara X is Windows 2000 compliant ? And I don't mean that Xara X just installs and "runs" on Win2K, but that it was designed and optimized to work with Win2K.

Has Xara explicitly said anything about Win2K compatibility ?

What about the older Xara 1.5 and CorelXara 2 ? Has anyone tried to put them through a real world test on Win2K and how did they perform ?

Windows, ne manque pas which 32-bit flavour, adhere to a set standard of doing things called the API. All applications running on windows (i.e. are calling the system to do it's stuff) should also adhere to these standards. There's no special API for Windows2000, simply because MS is keen to keep it's backward compatibility. So, your question if Xara X will be written especially for W2k is slightly confusing. Any application written for the Windows platform will run on all of the 32-bits flavours of Windows...

I've been using Corel Xara 2 on a daily basis in a real world business situation on a Win2k machine for months, and I've not had once crash yet (touch wood :-) )

So I'd say Xara 3 on Win2k is great (better than on Win95/98/ME)

Due to better memory protection, etc. I'd almost certainly advise that CorelXara should be run on Win2k and not any other OS... But that's just my opinion [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

M Ward

My problem with Windows 2000 and CorelXara 2 is that my Arial and Times Roman and a couple of other fonts are showing up in my font list in Xara about 20 times. What is happening I noticed is that Xara is somehow seeing a different version of the Arial font for each language that it supports as well as Times and the other fonts that have multiple language support.

No other program in Win 2000 is doing this so I see it as a problem with the way Xara sees it's fonts.

I wish I could just turn off support for the multiple languages but I am not able to it seems.

s.

Xara X has been developed on Win 2K and the problem you describe has been specifically addressed by Justin Flude, who was one of the programmers. See the Multi-Font Problem thread in the CorelXARA forum.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

I have been running Windows 2K ever since Beta 2, and I can honnestly say Xara is a lot more reliable on Win2K.

I don't recall once seing the all too familiar error "A serious Error has occured, CorelXara must close immediately. We apologise for any inconvenience caused" (or words to that effect) which cropped up every so often on Win98.

Stu.