Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Bitmap format

Default Bitmap format

Is there a way to determine the format (e.g. png, jpeg) of a bitmap after it has been pasted into Xara?

Default Re: Bitmap format

Look in the bitmap gallery. Rich

The bitmap gallery just says "standard bitmap" for all bitmaps I have. I know they are either jpg, png or gif but need to know which.

On further investigation, the bitmap gallery does give the original file name so from the extension it shows the format.

When the bitmap has been created by Everest it doesn't a file name, just "bitmap3" for example.

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test
    Is there a way to determine the format (e.g. png, jpeg) of a bitmap after it has been pasted into Xara?
    I guess once you paste it into Xara it becomes a .xar file if you save it and of course when you export it you can make it what you like. Before you paste it into Xara why not right click on picture and check it's properties. I would be interested to know why you need to know(just being nosy)

If you import a JPG (e.g. drag and drop onto a document) the bitmap gallery will show it as a JPG and it's embedded in the xar file as that original jpg (so it's not decompressed / re-compressed)

For other bitmaps types it will call it a 'standard bitmap' which means it's the same as a PNG (and GIFs are really the same as a PNG). In fact we use PNG compression for all 'standard bitmaps' when you save the .xar file.

Quote Originally Posted by parahandy
    I would be interested to know why you need to know(just being nosy)
    We were giving a print job to our printer as a pdf file and some of the graphics were printing with lines through the images. After some investigation we determined that it was only the gif and png format bitmaps with this problem. JPG was fine and TIFF was fine. We "fixed" the problem by converted all the gif and png files to TIFF.