Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PNG file question

If I import a png file (not made by xara) into xara can I edit it? If so, how?Thanks in advance

Tracy

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Default Re: PNG file question

The answer is: It depends on what you want to do.

Your .png will com in as a shape (probably a rectangle) with a bitmap fill.

You can edit the rectangle (slice it, mould it and you can always draw thing over the top of it). However you cannot edit the fill itself (per se) except through the photo editor which also has it's limits.

Give us a little bit more information (i.e post the graphic and let us know what you want to do) and you will get a more specific answer.

Hope that helps.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Attched Xara file with some random shapes drawn in Xara exported as PNG and reimported.
    Obviously the original shapes can be edited, the PNG file, regardless of which application it was made in, cannot, other than as any other bitmap.
    Derek
    Attached Files Attached Files

Exclamation Re: PNG file question

Welcome to the Xtreme Conference Tracy

There are two kinds of PNG files and this is a little confusing because they are very different.

Are you referring to a PNG file created with Macromedia Fireworks? If so this is a prioratory file format that to the best of my knowledge, Xara does not support.

As the others have pointed out, the other kind of PNG is a bitmap image (made up of pixels vs. vector objects) and yes you can do some editing to the image.

Xara Picture Editor can make edits such as contrast, brightness, saturation and blur/sharpen. In additon you can apply most Photoshop compatible plug-in filters to PNG bitmap files. Xtreme's new Live Effects Tool lets you add one or more effects to a bitmap (or a vector drawing!) and these effects stay with the file so you can remove or alter one or more of the operations at any time. Even in a month or a year.

Gary

Okay, here is the file. All I want to do is take the picture of the office out and replace it with my own. So can I slice it and then import another picture and put it in there?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layout.png 
Views:	341 
Size:	719.0 KB 
ID:	26798  

Ok here is my version. Draw a Line extending beyond the image, Select the line and the image, go to Arrange>combine>slice, this will cut your image where the lin intersected the image, you can either delete the portion you don't want, then line up your image that you want in conjucnction with the new image or you can select the sliced portion and export as a separate image.
    Jim

Name:	sliced.png 
Views:	320 
Size:	286.1 KB 
ID:	26799  
    Last edited by Scotty; 15 June 2006 at 10:14 PM.

You get much more flexibility, if you build the webside completely with Xara Extreme (see attachment).

Remi

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	simple_website_layout_with_xara_xtreme.png 
Views:	325 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	26820
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by remi; 16 June 2006 at 03:16 PM.

First let me just say that Xara is awesome (and I have no graphic design experience) and so are all of you guys.

I got the template fixed the way I would like it. Remi, I guess I never realized that I could make my own so that will be my next venture I think. But I have another question. Once I get the template done in xara, how do I convert it to a website? I use microsoft frontpage (I only know the absolute basic html coding). But I also have coffee cup.

Thanks,

Tracy

Name:	layout2.png 
Views:	279 
Size:	325.1 KB 
ID:	26826