Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Attachments advice

The TalkGraphics database is growing ever larger. And while we're not restricted like back on that horrible Infopop system, we do still have a database that is getting very large which makes it harder to backup.

I don't want to impose per-person limits, as that may stifle what TalkGraphics is all about. However I would ask that when you next post an attachment please keep a couple of things in mind:
    1. Do you really need to do that screenshot? A lot of the time a large screenshot could be replaced with a simple line of text. i.e. rather than showing someone an image of part of an Options Dialog panel, just say "Click Utilities > Options > Internet". This is still very easy to understand. Those on dial-up will also appreciate this.
    2. If you are posting an image, consider if you can reduce the dimensions and make sure you have chosen the appropriate format and compression level.
    Thank you.
    Antony
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Default Re: Attachments advice

Point well taken, Antony. I'm probably the worst offender, using screen shots rather than words. I'll be more verbose in the future
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I can imagine it's getting pretty large. Does vBulletin actually embed the graphics in it's database?

Those of us who have our own web hosting could post our screen shots and images in our own accounts and then put a url in our TG posts. That might help.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Mia culpa, I will cut down on my input if necessary. Is it not possible to do a cull of anything say over 3 months old especially if its non informative?.

Can TG use HTML code directly or have you only allowed the VB code to be used? I thought perhaps that an external source like PhotoBucket could be used and simple code could pull the image from that and display it in a post.

http://www.xara.com//img/products/logos/left_xtreme.gif

Just pulled this image from Xara's site using the VB [img] syntax. Like this:

HTML Code:
    [img]http://www.xara.com//img/products/logos/left_xtreme.gif[/img]
    Interesting!
    Last edited by RedWombat; 14 June 2006 at 03:29 PM.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Quote Originally Posted by RedWombat
    Can TG use HTML code directly or have you only allowed the VB code to be used? I thought perhaps that an external source like PhotoBucket could be used and simple code could pull the image from that and display it in a post.

http://www.xara.com//img/products/logos/left_xtreme.gif

Just pulled this image from Xara's site using the VB [img] syntax. Like this:

HTML Code:
    [img]http://www.xara.com//img/products/logos/left_xtreme.gif[/img]
    Interesting!
    Scroll way down in this thread and note the "Posting rules" at the lower left which states HTML code is OFF. This means you cannot use HTML code on this particular board, unless the admins decide to switch it on. But this brings the risk of some nasty sabotage by vandals who wanna disrupt this forum.
    Of course, like you said, the vB img tag works, which is sufficient enough
    Many sites like photobucket even provide you with the vB tag of your picture

Ah yes, I see the posting rules now. Never noticed them before. At least the vB coding works.

Thanks,

Red

Antony is not asking anyone to cut down on anything...

In terms of things you draw, if you feel like posting it - do it as before! That in itself is not a problem. The problem is the weight - apply some compression - for web use, nothing needs to the be exported at 100% - play with it. In terms of image size in pixels - the average person still runs their monitors at 800 by 600 (probably higher on a graphics related site like TG, but...) Around 500 - 550 pixels in width should be alright. If you have something that was meant to really wide/panoramic - go for it, use your best judgement.

In terms of screenshoots - if that's the only/best way of showing something - please do it. Again, best judgement should do the trick.

As for all of the above - I'm as guilty as next woman or man. Just have to think about it more, that's all.

It's not only an issue for the size of the database (and back-ups), some members are on dial-up, and visting a graphics intensive thread can get painful very quickly - minding the weight/file size should help there also.
    Last edited by RTK; 14 June 2006 at 09:14 PM.

Yes, everything is stored locally. In terms of pulling imagery off-site (hotlinking) - a slow external server can slow "load-times" of threads down to a screeching halt (especially with free image hosting services). And as images are deleted/removed you end up with only image place holders - which is a shame in fun/useful/educational/etc. threads.

Linking externally is not very user friendly. I would very (or do) seldom click on externally linked imagery (more than for the duties as moderator) because it slows me down.

Quote Originally Posted by RedWombat
    I can imagine it's getting pretty large. Does vBulletin actually embed the graphics in it's database?

Those of us who have our own web hosting could post our screen shots and images in our own accounts and then put a url in our TG posts. That might help.

As said in my first post in this thread. There's no need to cut down on anything... If WE ALL as a group mind the file sizes - it will make a huge difference.

Yes, there are various pruning features in vBulletin, but as to keep all threads "alive" (which would be the best) - everyone watching their file sizes should keep everything there "as is" for a long time yet.

Quote Originally Posted by parahandy
    Mia culpa, I will cut down on my input if necessary. Is it not possible to do a cull of anything say over 3 months old especially if its non informative?.