Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which color mode??

I use inkjet printers for my printing output.

That being said, which color mode should I be using, HSV, RGB, or CMYK for my in-house work (brochures, flyers)?

And would this change for editing/printing digital photos (jobsite photos)?

And once I set that color mode does Xara Xtreme send it to my printer in that mode or do I need to follow up with by making some setting in the print dialog?

What are your thoughts/suggestions?

Thank-you,
    mg

Default Re: Which color mode??

Hi MG,

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I use my HP inkjet printer and get very good result working in RGB mode. The HP drivers adjust so the output from the printer is about the same as what I see on screen. I do not have the simulate printer colours selected.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili
    Hi MG,

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I use my HP inkjet printer and get very good result working in RGB mode. The HP drivers adjust so the output from the printer is about the same as what I see on screen. I do not have the simulate printer colours selected.
    I have also a HP ptinter, a photosmart 7350, does the same apply as
    far as you know? Haven`t printed yet, but it would be nice to know
    when I start doing it.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

The best way to find out is to try it out.

That said, CMYK and HSV are just ways of mixing colors. So in essence a color mixed in CMYK and the same color specified in HSV and RGB are the same.

Xara displays colors in RGB mode. So ultimately no matter what color model you use, it is going to be RGB.

I print from an HP DeskJet printer in RGB mode and everything looks very good. And my color printed form the DeskJet is pretty accurate comparted with the same image or file printed by a commercial printer with a CMYK printing press. The exception is the deskjet colors are a little more vibrant.

If you are going to have something printed in CMYK by a commercial printer then you should be veiwing your colors in Simulate Printer Color mode (Window > Show Printer Colors > Simulate Print Colors).

This mutes all the colors you see in Xara and makes them look dull and darker. But this mode is more accurate to the limited gamut of CMYK printing.

Gary
    Last edited by gwpriester; 13 June 2006 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester
    If you are going to have something printed in CMYK by a commercial printer then you should be veiwing your colors in Simulate Printer Color mode (Window > Show Printer Colors > Simulate Print Colors).

This mutes all the colors you see in Xara and makes them look dull and darker. But this mode is more accurate to the limited gamut of CMYK printing.

Gary
    Thanks for the extra info.
    I`ll try printing something as soon as I get new inktcartridges,
    these are almost empty, but not yet used for xara pictures I made.

And I`ll try that mode and see what it does to the colors, on some
    of my pictures, thanks again.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Xara displays colors in RGB mode. So ultimately no matter what color model you use, it is going to be RGB.
    That is not strictly true Gary. HSV and RGB are basically the same model. But CMYK colors are an entirely different model and way of specifying colors. CMYK colors are the same as the printer uses (they have CMYK inks) and when you specify a given CMYK value, the exact percentages you specify are passed to the printer. This allows you to use Pantone colors that specify an exact CMYK mix and you'll get a very close match when you print (although inkjet printers vary).

However it is true to say that Xara uses RGB colors when using any transparency effect, and that includes feathering and shadows, and this mean if you have an exact CMYK colour and want to reproduce it exactly, then do not use transparency effects on that object.

Of all the color models HSV is a much more intuitive way of using and picking colours which is why we default to that on Xara Xtreme now. It has the benefit that you can pick a hue, and then see all possible shades of that hue to pick from.

So our recommendation is simple: use HSV colors for everything UNLESS you have a specific CMYK colour value you need to reproduce. There is little value in using the RGB colour picker, especially since on the HSV picker you can enter #RGB numbers anyway.
    Last edited by Charles Moir; 13 June 2006 at 11:13 PM.

Thank-you so much. That is exactly the information I was looking for.

It's hard to effectively express one's appreciation over the silent voice of the internet.

mg

Charles - Of course you are correct.

But even a CMYK color in Xara displays as RGB that was my point. So if you are priting to an ink jet printer it really does not matter what color model you use to mix the color though HSV is the easiest and most intuitive.

If you need to commercially print a specific color, for example to match a color from a Process Color swatch book, then by all means, switch your color units to Percent in the Page Options dialog and specify your colors in CMYK percentages.

Gary

To confuse the issue more if your print run is say around the 1000 mark and you take to the printers they will probablely just use a laser printer and RIP it so therefore you can easily use RGB or HSV. However if the run is say 3000 and the size of the flyer or brochure means that the sheets of paper going in through the printer is more than 1000, as most laser print on A3+ size sheets, then the printer will will use plates.

No matter what people say in this forum there is a colour shift when printing CMYK from plates and the best idea is to get a proof sheet before comitting to print run, as you will need to adjust your colours in Xara. Blues and greens are the worst and if you flyers contain any purple it is really difficult to match your screen colours to your proof. last thing I would say is that if you have a decent paint package and you are working in CMYK save your Xara as a TIFF and take into the package to see the colours.
    Design is thinking made visual.

I have always used RGB space for my printing. (I don't send anything out to print, all done here on inkjets. Several of my manuals say if you send CMYK to your inkjet it will force your inkjet's to double convert leading to some poor results. And they were right. Willy