Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: instances in xara?

I was just explain my point of view, not sayng that I'm the lord of truth, if a moderator told you this, great, thanks for the advise, don't make this too serious.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmc
    No offense, but I've noticed several LX users mentioning Inkscape can do this or do that.

I have Inkscape and it is a neat program, but doesn't have nearly all the power that the Windows Xara Xtreme does. Plus the fact that SVG is hardly supported by browsers or many programs.

It might be a future development thing for Xara LX to import SVG and do a lot of things, but I think they just started on their Linux implementation and this is going to take some time.

The idea behind the Xara LX was to make it open source so that programmers of all kinds could add features they feel that is necessary.

Also, said by Xara on their Website is that some of the features accomplished in Xara LX will be done in future Windows Versions.

It may take awhile for the Linux version to catch up. But after it has caught up, it may well pass the Windows versions with features implemented by other programmers.

My advice is not to compare XaraLX and Inkscape as I'm sure it will raise the eyebrows and perhaps ire of the Xara programmers.
    IP

hi all thanks for the hints, I respond to all msg's at once.
    I guess that the importance of instances is related to the work one is doing. So doing web- and interfacedesing instances are important for example changing the design of layoutelements. In making freehand paintings it's probably not.

I guess that implementing instances is not a trivial task and can be realized be
    simply add some additional code.

So it is probably a question of the concept where xaralx wants to go. But anyway, I use/like linux and inkscape and started to use xara from the day I coud safe my work for one project cause I need the link-color feature what inkscape cant do.

By the way some congrats to the devs of xaralx for there realy nice rapidly evolving linux version. It nice to install every day the newest version to see if there a feature more I could use
    grz nos
    IP

hm, one nice thing could be if it would be possible to import xara documents into xara and keep them as a unit so they could be updated. I didnt have a windows box handy but I guess the cliparts which can be imported are xarafiles to. This may would be a starting point.
    IP

Instances, or live clones, or Flash...er whatevertheycallthem thingies will be done in Xara one of these days. The more people want a feature, the more likely it is to get done. Now the source code is available and open anyone can contribute features. So we hope features such as this will appear sooner rather than later.
    IP

For those who would program this instances feature, they could think to introduce them as objects inside Xara brushes so that any change applied to the master object is applied to its instances inside the brush.

kindly,

ivan (a long time ago "Brush Meister") ;-)
    IP

Lightbulb Re: instances in xara?

SVG is hardly supported by browsers or many programs

It might be a future development thing for Xara LX to import SVG and do a lot of things, but I think they just started on their Linux implementation and this is going to take some time.

My advice is not to compare XaraLX and Inkscape as I'm sure it will raise the eyebrows and perhaps ire of the Xara programmers.
    SVG is supported at least to some usable extent in both Firefox and Opera and there's a plug-in for Internet Explorer by both Adobe and Corel.
    Want some programs that support it? Other major vector apps, like Illustrator and CorelDraw support it quite well, afaik. So it would be pretty cool if Xara joined them . Nobody says it has to be done tonight (else it's probably just a troll).

The reason why many people compare Xara LX and Inkscape is that devs can try it out in a couple of minutes in Inkscape and see the difference, they don't have to pay anything for it and most of them probably has it installed anyway. They can even have a look at Inkscape's source code and see if it helps in any way (might not, depends on the code and part of the program part).
    Some of them might not like it, especially after the n-th time someone brings it up, but that's one thing you have to have with end users - patience

Just something I thought you might want to know
    Last edited by Slapo; 19 June 2006 at 03:14 PM.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Slapo
    SVG is supported at least to some usable extent in both Firefox and Opera and there's a plug-in for Internet Explorer by both Adobe and Corel.

The reason why many people compare Xara LX and Inkscape is that devs can try it out in a couple of minutes in Inkscape and see the difference, they don't have to pay
    svg is on our to-do list.

Of course you don't have to pay for Inkscape. And neither do you have to pay for XaraLX.

I for one want to see svg export from Xara as it will give us a great opportunity to compare rendering speeds between the two engines.

Alex
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by abligh
    svg is on our to-do list.
    Great

Of course you don't have to pay for Inkscape. And neither do you have to pay for XaraLX.
    Have I said something that made you think I think one has to pay for the GPL Linux version of Xara LX?

I for one want to see svg export from Xara as it will give us a great opportunity to compare rendering speeds between the two engines.
    I think more people are interested about on-screen redraw speed than in file export speed. Not that it would be negligible, but unless you have a fairly complex document, savings are usually pretty fast (at least on my PC )
    IP

Good point. It's clear to me that XaraLx is going to be in a class by itself when it comes to doing much of what many page designers do and wish to do. The 0.5 version is almost there. When 1.0 is comes out and has all the features of the Windows version it is nearly the only thing a web or single page graphic designer needs for production work.

frank
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Slapo
    Great
    Have I said something that made you think I think one has to pay for the GPL Linux version of Xara LX?
    Nope, sorry, I misread what you wrote.
    IP