Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default instances in xara?

hi list
    I wondering if the is a function to make instances of objects, means if I modify the main object the instances get changes also.
    Thanks for any hints.
    nos
    IP

Default Re: instances in xara?

On the Windows version there is. One can do fills, resizing that way.

I'm unsure if modification at the node/path level is done though, never really thought about it to do that before. Done it in 3D a lot, just never occurred to me to try it in a 2D program.
    IP

Inkscape already use this, this "effect" is called clones and make a great effect with clone tiles.
    I cant wait for the 1.0 release of this one ^^'
    IP

No offense, but I've noticed several LX users mentioning Inkscape can do this or do that.

I have Inkscape and it is a neat program, but doesn't have nearly all the power that the Windows Xara Xtreme does. Plus the fact that SVG is hardly supported by browsers or many programs.

It might be a future development thing for Xara LX to import SVG and do a lot of things, but I think they just started on their Linux implementation and this is going to take some time.

The idea behind the Xara LX was to make it open source so that programmers of all kinds could add features they feel that is necessary.

Also, said by Xara on their Website is that some of the features accomplished in Xara LX will be done in future Windows Versions.

It may take awhile for the Linux version to catch up. But after it has caught up, it may well pass the Windows versions with features implemented by other programmers.

My advice is not to compare XaraLX and Inkscape as I'm sure it will raise the eyebrows and perhaps ire of the Xara programmers.
    IP

I think it's a healthly competition, both are open source, both can take and give a working tool, with some conversion of course, but coparing one with another isn't necessary is a critical about it, maybe is just a font of inspiration ^^
    I'ts a good think about open source, there is no re-invention only a growing together role thing.
    It sound poetic dont't ya? XD
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Andreh
    I think it's a healthly competition, both are open source, both can take and give a working tool, with some conversion of course, but coparing one with another isn't necessary is a critical about it, maybe is just a font of inspiration ^^
    I'ts a good think about open source, there is no re-invention only a growing together role thing.
    It sound poetic dont't ya? XD
    I've used Linux before and know about it, actually used UNIX long ago.

I was trying to give helpful advice to a Xara LX user as suggested by one of the forum moderators in a post.

However, since my suggestions seem to fall on deaf ears I'll stick to the Windows side.

In fact, I might just stop giving any suggestions at all, too many 'yeah but this and that' people out there.
    IP

Woooo James chill out! Andreh has only pointed out that other programs do things in a different manner, sometimes better than Xara.

In the Windows/Mac world, Xara is up against Illustrator and Corel Draw. It would appear that in the Linux world it's bound to be compared to Inkscape.

All of the above programs have their strong & weak points (example: Corel Draw could create a 3D extrusion way back in version 2 or 3, Xara still hasn't this capability.)

Hopefully we're going to get more & more members visiting the forums via LX. Let's try to accommodate & educate them in things Xara, but more than anything else, let's welcome them.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 09 June 2006 at 12:34 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Andreh,

Re your original question about instances of objects. No I don't believe this is possible in Xara, at least not as it's implemented in say Flash, were an edit of the root instance changes all the copies of the instance on stage.

Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill
    Woooo James chill out! Andreh has only pointed out that other programs do things in a different manner, sometimes better than Xara.

In the Windows/Mac world, Xara is up against Illustrator and Corel Draw. It would appear that in the Linux world it's bound to be compared to Inkscape.

All of the above programs have their strong & weak points (example: Corel Draw could create a 3D extrusion way back in version 2 or 3, Xara still hasn't this capability.)

Hopefully we're going to get more & more members visiting the forums via LX. Let's try to accommodate & educate them in things Xara, but more than anything else, let's welcome them.
    Thanks for your support.

I used Linux when I was in business, I know what it's capable of doing.

Guess after 40 years being around computers, I'm just too full of it to hand out good advice.

Think I'll take a break from this forum.
    IP

My question???? I think you're a little confuse =]

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill
    Andreh,

Re your original question about instances of objects. No I don't believe this is possible in Xara, at least not as it's implemented in say Flash, were an edit of the root instance changes all the copies of the instance on stage.

Egg
    IP