Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Convert Latitude & Longitude recieved from GPS to x,y coordinates

I am having the latitude and longitude values recieved from the GPS.I want the logic/formula to convert this latitude and longitude values into x,y coordinates and then spot the point on the map.

The Latitude and Longitude values are in Degrees Minutes.

eg. 80 Degrees 46 min.
    IP

Default Re: Convert Latitude & Longitude recieved from GPS to x,y coordinates

Hi Vijay

This is nowhere as easy as you may imagine. What area is your map going to cover?

Every one degree of latitude is 60 nautical miles, so every minute is 1 nautical mile. (1 nautical mile = 6076 feet, 1 statute mile = 5280 feet)

The problem is that one degree of Longitude varies depending on Latitude. For example it's 60 nautical miles at the equator and 0 at the poles.

You will need to know what type of map you're using i.e. Mercator projection.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

What Egg said, there are a ton of considerations in mapping GPS to X,Y. Elevation, longitudinal correction (as you approach either Pole from the equator) and much more.

Generally speaking though, it's:

degrees+minutes/60

or in seconds

degrees +minutes/60+seconds/3600
    IP

Hi Egg

Thx for ur effort in helping me out.I dont know what type of map im using eg. Mercator projection or something else.

But I will give you the site path from where I obtained the Map.

http://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/tami...hennai-map.htm

If u can see that and find what type it is then probably you will be able to clarify me better.

Regards
    Vijay
    IP

Hi James

Thx for ur effort in helping me out. i am sending u the path of the site from where i got the map i am using in my project.

http://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/tami...hennai-map.htm

I dont know the type of map that is ...

Now I need to know ,will the formula you suggested work with this type of map. I would appreciate if u can help me out with examples.

regards
    Vijay
    IP

Thumbs up Re: Convert Latitude & Longitude recieved from GPS to x,y coordinates

Quote Originally Posted by vijaygphix View Post
    I am having the latitude and longitude values recieved from the GPS.I want the logic/formula to convert this latitude and longitude values into x,y coordinates and then spot the point on the map.

The Latitude and Longitude values are in Degrees Minutes.

eg. 80 Degrees 46 min.
    pls reply me
    IP

The OP has not logged into these forums since 26 July 2006. I doubt he will see your message.
    IP