Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: rectangle

Question rectangle

Hi

Just want some clarification please.

If I use the rectangle tool and draw a rectangle (difficult I know)

Is that rectangle a shape or an editable shape?

I ask because I'm trying to alter the shape by using the shape editor tool and am failing dismally.

Do I have to convert it to an editable shape?

thanks

Ian

Default Re: rectangle

creating a rectangle with the rectangle tool makes it a defined object, as will a elipse (circle) or any of the quick shapes. If you want to "mutate" it into something else, you need to convert it first, then it will just be an object ... a collection of points that can be manipulated in anyway you want.
    Glenn

Talking Re: rectangle

Thanks

As you no doubt worked out I'm determined to emulate the graphic you sent me early today.

It's a learning curve (no pun intended)

cheers

Ian

Exclamation Re: rectangle

Many of Xara's operations are "Live" until they are converted to editable shapes.

One example is the aforementioned rectangle. Until you convert the rectangle to editable shapes, the corners of the rectangle can be rounded. And you cannot edit the rectangle with the Shape Editor Tool.

An even better example is a blend. You can create some of the most amazing blends in Xara including groups of objects containing transparency, bevels, and other stuff. I am not aware of any other application that can do this.

The blend remains live. You can save the file with the blend and revisit it in a day, a month, a year or more and the blend (if not converted to editable shapes) is still a blend and you can edit it, change the blend steps, and anything else you'd care to do.

A QuickShape hexagon, or any other polygoninous (I made that word up) shape can be converted from pointed edges to rounded edges, the number of sides can be modified, and other edits, at any time until you convert to editable shapes.

Does this make any sense?

Gary

"polygoninous": Someone who has 'gone in' (entered) on numerous occasions.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

hahahahahahaha
    -=Bob=-

Talking Re: rectangle

This is all rather confusing really,

Some shapes can be modified without converting them to editable shapes and others have to be converted before they can be modified.

I'll get it in the end

cheers

Ian

you really don't want to get it in the end................
    -=Bob=-